🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Help understanding the forgotten steering behaviour: Unaligned collision avoidance

Started by
0 comments, last by hs12503 4 years, 3 months ago

Recently I've became interested in implementing steering behaviours for my game. For the most part, they have been relatively trivial to implement, and when I get stuck there's always a surplus of resources available online.

Surprisingly, there's one which I cannot seem to find any resources on: Unaligned collision avoidance. On Craig Reynolds site, he provides a description:

Collision avoidance is obtained for a vehicle by considering each of the other vehicles, and determining (based on current velocities) when and where the two will make their nearest approach. A potential for collision exists if that nearest approach is in the future, and if the distance between the vehicles at nearest approach is small enough. The nearest of these potential collisions, if any, is determined. The vehicle then steers to avoid the site of the predicted collision. The vehicle will steer laterally to turn away from the potential collision. It will also accelerate forward or decelerate backwards to get to the indicate site before or after the predicted collision.

This behaviour seems to be really useful, so I would expect there to be at least some resources on implementing it. It seems everyone is just using the separation steering behaviour as a substitute, but I feel that it doesn't work as well.

Has anyone else found any resources on this? Also, could someone explain to me in more simpler terms on how this behaviour could be implemented?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement