🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

gambling vs video games

Started by
17 comments, last by Calin 4 years, 3 months ago

What`s the difference between a gambling game and a video game? It is the educational factor?

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

Advertisement

If shooting a bunch of innocent people only because of their nationality in an airport is educational, then i would rather gamble….

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Russian

NikiTo said:
If shooting a bunch of innocent people only because of their nationality in an airport is educational, then i would rather gamble….

Or you go play one of the literal 100000000 other games that don't include that one level from MWII. Oumpf.

On a more serious note, whats the point of that one (agreably disturbing) example from a shooter to say about games as whole?

Calin said:
What`s the difference between a gambling game and a video game? It is the educational factor?

What does that even mean? A gambling game you put money in in the hopes of getting more out by pure chance (more or less depending on the game). And a video game is nothing like that? Now with the whole lootbox-fiasco videogames are getting gambling-like mechanics, but still…

@Juliean This is one of the worst less educational games/levels i can think of. It is related to the OP. It is just the worst of the worst. Next in my list is a psycho masturbating over dead bodies in Outlast. Outlast got 10/10(Outlast 2 is 9/10) in reviews. What Outlast educates you about?

Shooting zombies is not educational either. It is pure entertainment. Hardly a game can be educational and fun at the same time. IMHO, i can not think of a fun game that teaches you something. I try it. Can you come up with some example? I mean, excluding board games for playing in family. What Doom is “educating” you about? It is pure entertainment.

There is an episode of South Park where the teacher fools the kids that reading a book is fun. They read it entirely, but found no fun in it. So they realized they were tricked into learning, and they were angry about it. I would stop playing if i kill a boss in Doom and they show me a cutscene telling me something about history and then: “Remember that important year in history, brave hero! You will need it. It will be the password of the weapons box in the next level.” WUT?!

Games are fun. Studying is not fun. I wanna have fun, not educate myself, or study.

Some puzzle games make you think. Is this educational? It is developmental. You learn no new useful facts from most of puzzle games. Not to mention, that wasting your time and solving a puzzle are two different things - you have to push a box to get to a key to open a door to get a saw to cut a lock to get an oxygen lamp to open a safe box to get a password from inside to unlock a terminal to can see the location of a new key…………….

("no russians" is not fun for me)

NikiTo said:
If shooting …

you`re painting with a wide brush. I see the examples you come up with as twists to an otherwise respected norm.

Calin said:

Former is for money, latter is for fun. Neither is educational.

JoeJ said:
Neither is educational

Video games are a constructive (meaningfull) representation of reality. Except puzzle games maybe.

I just came up with a game that could be fun and educational. Maybe.

If the parameters of the cars in AAA car racing games are correct, you learn facts about the hypercars. Not very useful for a non-multi-millionaire.

I learned from games to lift the gas pedal in curves. It helps a lot with a real car. First time i drove a car i was already using this intuitively, thanks to XBox.

@Calin games are developmental. Rarely, extremely rarely they are fun and educational at the same time.

With any game you build a skill. Rarely useful in teal life.

Professional fly simulators could be educational too. I think some tank battle games try to be accurate with the real parameters of the tanks.

I've seen teachers in the military, explaining strategy to students with 3D gfx like in a game. How fun it is for students to be examined with a game, i don't know.

Games are money just like gambling.

But gambling is not fun. I have seen people spending the whole night playing for 5 cents up, 5 cents down. They were looking like zombies. They are victims. Not looking like having fun.

Gambling in games makes me sad when i play.

A detective game, could be educational and useful. A little bit boring for my personal tastes. It can teach you how to leave less traces on a crime scene, and it teaches you to trust nobody. Discovery crime channel helped me a lot to be pessimistic, to trust nobody, and to consider everybody a criminal. It helps in life.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement