🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

backing up game source code

Started by
8 comments, last by Shaarigan 4 years, 3 months ago

How do you guys back up your game source code?

I have a habit of losing my source code, and I want it to stop.

I'm thinking of writing some DVDs or Blu-ray discs with my source code on them.

Thank you.

Advertisement

I use my version control system (Git) for that puprose. I wouldn't consider developing without it anyways (even as a solo developer), and having an sort-of auto backup is one of the additional benefits.

There is Github, Bitbucket etc… as free online git suppliers, for example.

I use GitHub, which is an awesome UI for a source control system. I have 66 repositories now. LOL

Fossil repositories for source control. The master repositories are on my main computer but owned by a different (virtual) user, so that I cannot accidentally or intentionally delete them without escalating to root.

Backups of my fossil repositories on my secondary hard disk on my main computer, updated several times daily.

Backup copies of my fossil repositories, on all of my other computers, updated whenever I turn them on. I have four computers in addition to my main computer with different operating systems installed, mostly for testing and for playing games.

Backup copies of my fossil repositories on USB sticks, updated weekly. After I create such a backup, I place it in my jeans pocket. Then I remove the old USB stick (different brand so that they are easy to tell apart) and place it next to my main computer to hold the backup for the next week. This way so long as I am wearing my jeans (which is 100% of the time while I am outside the house), I always have a backup copy of my projects with me, so I can recover even if a meteor strikes my house and completely obliterates all of my computers.

Known weaknesses of my backup plan: if I am sleeping (i.e. not wearing my jeans) and my house burns down, I may escape without taking my USB stick along. Also, there is no provision for my USB stick failing (or being stolen) and the computers in my house being destroyed at the same time.

I use a private GitHub repo too. I formerly used Bitbucket because GitHub didn't offer private repo's unless you paid, but they offer free unlimited private repos now. If you have Visual Studio Pro or Enterprise then there is also Azure DevOps as well.

github is nice out there … you can also zip the source and do a hard backup on google drive…

ms75214 said:

How do you guys back up your game source code?

I have a habit of losing my source code, and I want it to stop.

I'm thinking of writing some DVDs or Blu-ray discs with my source code on them.

Thank you.

I code in Windows so I just use my onedrive folder. I save often and back up my source code when I'm about to implement something that will require a lot of source code modification, so that I can go back to the previous project if it is a complete fail of an idea.

SVN and/or Git has been a requirement at every job I have had, and one of those things they really just expected candidates to know and not immediately screw up a commit/push/merge/etc.

For my own stuff I use git now. Github now allow a few free private repositories, Bitbucket I believe is still unlimited. There are also options if you want to self-host.

Even if you are working alone today, I think it is worth it for the experience, and if do start working with people, folder sharing and such is not really manageable, or dealing with experimental “branches” and such. There are tools to compare directory trees, but that is a lot more manual and the sort of thing Git/SVN/etc. is designed to help with (especially when files or directories get copied or renamed), as well as having the commit history if you ever want to see when and why something was done.

I have an account at Assembla.com, it is an hosting service that offered a free limited plan when I created my account and I'm using it for past 8 years now. Then I have a publishing repo on GitHub which is updated frequently whenever I made some changes that passed dev-testing.

Also have a zipped version on my google drive I can use whenever I don't have access to SVN or Git

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement