🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Pathfinding, need feedback

Started by
109 comments, last by Calin 4 years, 1 month ago

Juliean said:
So keep on fighting the good fight then

No. I've said it all and this is the single last one line of text of response to this thread. Promised! XD

No. I've said it all and this is the single last one line of text of response to this thread. Promised! XD

Advertisement

Also, please stop deflecting criticism with generic fortune-cookie sayings

defending your position means dismantling the position of the person you`re talking to which could be seen as aggression so I`m just trying to put my position into a good perspective through a general statement that holds true rather than dismantle someones statements.

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

Calin said:
I passed 99% of a Law colledge

I would have waited till they finished constructing it before I went sightseeing.

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

here`s a debug view 102 - destination , 138 - start point, the clear corner in the middle - obstacle tiles , it works.

Can't stop trying to decypher your code

Most of it is trivial/obvious except third parameter from NodeCoord() which is me taping the function call for debug reasons

Calin said:
defending your position means dismantling the position of the person you`re talking to which could be seen as aggression so I`m just trying to put my position into a good perspective through a general statement that holds true rather than dismantle someones statements.

Then do neigther.

You do not have enough expertise to be dismantling other peoples positions, I'm sorry. You are at a beginner-level, which is totally fine, as long as you don't act as if you know more than you really do.

And there is not point in trying to make your own position sound better. Again, you are beginner, if you post code like this people see immediately whats wrong with it and no fortune-cookie talk will convince them otherwise.

You know what you should do? Take the advice and criticism as just that. Advice and criticism. People aren't telling you those things because they expect some great comeback, or because they wanna attack you. They simply share their expertise and knowledge. I know first-hand how hard it can be to accept criticism, but you really need to learn how to do that.
You always seem to think that everything is subjective but its not. Some things work, others don't. How do you know which is which? Years of experience, years of learning and most of all years of having failed.

Do you need to do everything somebody else tells you? No. But if 10 people tell you all the same thing, there's something true about it. Here's my fortune-cookie advice for you: If you walk down the street and meet a butthole, you have met a butthole. If you walk down the street and see only buttholes, you are the butthole. Take the same to advice given to you on that forum.

I tried to reverse engineer that -

thanks for helping me understand what the machine is doing Nikito, I will actually make a hi res capture and try to read/understand what it is doing.

@Calin Under what license you plan to share your algorithm? When it is finished.

I`m actually serious about finishing it. I still have to code the scenario when no link can be made between start and finish. The algorithm is not the center piece of my game, almost anything will do.

@Calin I recommend you to NEVER show your code to people.

NEVER EVER!!

But,

you can show what you programmed. Something moving on screen, some short GIF. Some snapshot.

This is your only way to go.

Many of the pro coders rarely show something. Because of various reasons. Because they want it to be perfect before showing it, and nothing is perfect never. Or because they want to implement the last of the last of the last of C++ version 9000. Other people just program something they keep in secret. Or something too big.

My point is, your only way to “shine” with a weak and pale light is to show visual stuff. NOT your code, but what your code does. In this aspect you can “defeat” a lot of the pro programmers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement