🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Started a Platformer, Looking for Feedback and Ideas!

Started by
2 comments, last by DishSoap 4 years ago

Hey all - I'm not really sure this is the right forum but I just wanted to post a little platformer I started working on and get some feedback on direction. I've posted a few videos on youtube showing progress (link above) - I built the engine so most of them are simple and related to getting things like collision / physics working. The most recent gives a very rough idea of how jumping / shooting mechanics will work. Art / sound is still incoming, I haven't really come up with a decent theme and I'm a one person team that really only knows how to write code.

As for gameplay I'm sort of thinking Doom Eternal meets a modern day platformer. As in, I think it'd be fun to have the skill based shooting injected into a platformer. Ideally, the player would have a variety of weapons and skills that they must strategically switch between through the course of a battle. Between fights the player would explore / progress forward in the world.

My questions are -

1. What are the sort of mehanics / gameplay elements do you think are important for a game of this genre?
  2. Are there any games of this genre that specifically stick out to anyone? For me - I really enjoyed Ori / Risk of Rain / Hollow Knight / Celeste. None of them really provide that shoot'em'up I'm aiming for (other than Risk of Rain) so curious what you all have played.
  3. Where are some good places to solicit feedback along the way? I'm curious if it's worth releasing small demos as I go and what value that has brought you all.
Advertisement
  1. Directional shooting possibly
  2. BroForce comes to mind
  3. Here @ gamedev.net portfolios or itch.io has a devlog and community feedback

Ohhhh BroForce - I've actually never played it. Good call.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement