🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

isometric RTS art?

Started by
5 comments, last by pcvsee 22 years, 6 months ago
what do you think is the fastest and easiest way to make sprites like the ones used in starcraft and other rts? are there any tools available to make things a lot easier? i''m really new at these and i''m trying to learn as much as i can so i appreciate any help or suggestions.
Advertisement
Most of them games that still use 2D sprites have used 3D Studio Max to make the units and buildings. I know specifically that is what Ensemble Studios (makes or age of empires) used.

Possibility
Also Mech Warrios RTS (mech commaners) work with 3dsmax

-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
3DS Max truly is an amazing tool... and I would run out and get it, save for one *wee* little drawback...
quote: San Francisco, CA ?January 24, 2001?Discreet , a division of Autodesk, Inc. (Nasdaq: ADSK), today announced it has begun shipping 3ds max 4, the latest version of its award-winning 3D modeling, animation, and rendering program. 3ds max 4 delivers the most efficient and creative workflow for character animation, next-generation game development and cutting edge visual effects production. 3ds max 4 is available now for a suggested retail price of US $3,495.
Oh... the joys of pencil, pen, paper, and a cute lil'' scanner... lol. (When I get tired of doing everything in PAINTBRUSH)

-------------- Tok --------------
~The Feature Creep of the Family~
--------------------------~The Feature Creep of the Family~
Or... maybe write a sprite editor. The project I''m working on is top-down 2d instead of iso, but one of the guys wrote a sprite editor to simplify things.

Now, if only I hadn''t already used MS3D to make models for half of the objects... *sigh* Such is life.
WNDCLASSEX Reality;......Reality.lpfnWndProc=ComputerGames;......RegisterClassEx(&Reality);Unable to register Reality...what's wrong?---------Dan Uptonhttp://0to1.orghttp://www20.brinkster.com/draqza
I would say that 3dsmax is definitely the way to go.

I was told that r1 (perfectly adequate for somehting thats going to be reduced down to 2d at 3 inches by 2...
was available for around $30US off amazon or something.
just a thought...I use max3 and find it brilliant for this stuff.

just to throw in a hint here, I''ve spent ages trying to render all my models from the right angles one at a time. set up a ring of cameras around your object (at the elevation,etc that you want) and use video post to export jpegs, bmps or the like of your animations from each angle all at once by queueing one camera after another...

though a 3d rts is much more interesting...and perhaps challenging to write. got me stumped at the moment.

Qatal

die or be died...i think
die or be died...i think
$3,495? Like any game hobbyist is gonna BUY software! Hehehe But adding to what Tok said, nuthin'' beats paper, pencil and a decent scanner =) Well, an illegal copy of Photoshop is a must =)

- Jay

Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view

Get Tranced!
Quit screwin' around! - Brock Samson

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement