🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game Hero asset workflow help

Started by
2 comments, last by greeneggs221 3 years, 7 months ago

I am in the process of making a portfolio environment in unreal engine. At the moment, I have a blocked out building made in max, not yet UV unwrapped or sculpted.

My scene will consist of a forest environment, and the exterior of a house as the main focus of the project, with some props around it.

I am wondering if there is any suggested workflow for this kind of asset, as I have seen a few ‘game asset workflow’ tutorials, but generally this workflow is for one small asset, with one texture. I am wondering if I should approach my building like this, or more as a series of assets as it is the main feature of my scene. I would also like to know if I am better off separating the front and side facing parts of the house, as I have had a hard time finding the best way to sculpt and bake the roof without making a separate material for each side.

I hope this wasn't too daft a question, and that I have provided enough information for you to give any sort of answer or guidance. This is my first go at attempting a ‘game ready’ environment, so I am wanting to find the best and most efficient ways to do it.

Here is a basic version of my blockout model:

If anyone has any tips or suggestions that would point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate your help ?

Advertisement

Follow Grant Abbitt, in this stylized cottage (parts 1 to 8), it's in Blender, so which means u can also grab yourself a free blender copy and follow him;

you can't go wrong, he's also got some other stylized asset creation tutes, you'll defniitely benefit, sorry i can't type defineitely ?

Anyway have fun and enjoy ?

That's it … all the best ?

@ddlox Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply, Ill definitely have a look into those tutorials! might be just what I'm after ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement