🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A moral technology question......

Started by
11 comments, last by Programmer71 3 years, 6 months ago

Do you invent something new, that you know the gaming industry may abuse?

That question has been plagued in my mind for an hour or so. The question that might be easier to answer, is how to have separate applications communicate? Meaning, basically cross platform. How do I reasearch this? Does anyone have a biblical text of coding information they want to share? Not YOUR code, just where you found it.

edit******

Before you ask, I have tried google. I want concrete informational guide lines.

Advertisement

squidrow said:
That question has been plagued in my mind for an hour or so.

I can only imagine the turmoil you must have endured in that hour.

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

squidrow said:

Do you invent something new, that you know the gaming industry may abuse? That question has been plagued in my mind for an hour or so.

That is so deep…

squidrow said:

The question that might be easier to answer, is how to have separate applications communicate? Meaning, basically cross platform. How do I reasearch this? Does anyone have a biblical text of coding information they want to share? Not YOUR code, just where you found it.

Wait, how is that at all something new? Also, I think this belongs in the Networking and Multiplayer forum.

squidrow said:

edit******

Before you ask, I have tried google. I want concrete informational guide lines.

Yes. Google never comes up with any proper results for stuff so rarely searched for.

squidrow said:
Do you invent something new, that you know the gaming industry may abuse?

Do I create the world knowing that humans are going to abuse it?

?

Thank you all for your responses. I promise what I am trying to do is different. It's hard to research something new. So i wanted to start with cross platform so i could tweak it into what i need. This type of cross platform bridge that I am trying to build, is a new experience for gamers. I just dont want it to be abused like F2P and loot crates. So what books and blogs should I read to become well diversed in all aspects if code.

squidrow said:
I just dont want it to be abused like F2P and loot crates. So what books and blogs should I read to become well diversed in all aspects if code.

There's no way to prevent “abuse” (whatever it is you're worried about) once technology becomes public. The books and blogs you should read are law books and legal blogs.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

squidrow said:

what books and blogs should I read to become well diversed in all aspects if code.

I'm not sure exactly what you think “all aspects” are here.

Please be more specific about this. You can learn about becoming a better programmer by reading, but you'll only be a better programmer by programming. Is that what you're referring to, or is it something more abstract and “fluffy”, like game design that you want to read about?

@undefined I am looking for a starting point. I understand that my question is vague. It also needs to be. School for game design has left a gap of knowledge when it comes to coding. I understand how to read and write some of it but I need more information. Where would you suggest I go to learn how to use c# in a cross platform situation? Can C# even do this? Do I need another tool to achieve this like on mobile. (Or so Google says).

I don't think you should worry about cross platform if you can't program yet. I suppose it doesn't hurt to start with something “easy” that can be run everywhere, like python for instance. Eventually you'll learn about networking, and hopefully you'll then learn to use a library that abstracts from all(most) of the quirks coming from cross-platform issues. Then it's just down to using that and making something.

C# is fine. You can make cross-platform stuff with it, but I suggest you find something that was originally meant to be used on your main platform (don't know what computer you're using to write on), something with a big community and with a comfortable learning curve and then learn using that. You can always try other languages later - you're not marrying it.

squidrow said:
Where would you suggest I go to learn how to use c# in a cross platform situation? Can C# even do this? Do I need another tool to achieve this like on mobile.

Start a new thread in the For Beginners forum. (THIS thread started off asking a “moral” question about bringing a baby into a tumultuous world, which is not a programming question so it is not in a programming forum.) https://www.gamedev.net/forums/forum/71-for-beginners/​​ is the right place to ask beginner programming questions.

squidrow said:
School for game design has left a gap of knowledge when it comes to coding.

Yes. If you wanted to learn programming, you could have gone for a Computer Science degree at another school, or taken a minor in game programming while working on your major in design.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement