🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Career Advise wanted: lots of down time

Started by
1 comment, last by frob 3 years, 4 months ago

Hello,

So this is a career question, but not necessarily a games specific issue.

I started a new job in the tech/ healthcare industry as a project coordinator back in the beginning of January. It's all remote. Which is good. But the issue is, I'm not busy at all.

I've asked for more tasks and asked How I can better serve the company, and they just tell me to do what my manager tells me to do. My work load has remained consistently low. I'm not sure why this is. I always do my tasks as soon as I get them. And it sounds like the people I'm supporting are far busier than I am.

I was told in the beginning by my bosses boss that healthcare is slow, but things are so slow that I wonder if I should be looking for a more fulfilling job elsewhere. This contract is for a year, and I'm temped on just riding it out so I can pad my resume. I maybe have 2-3 hours of work a day, and the other 5-6 hours I'm just doing other things.

I feel bad about doing non work things but this is also now the 4th time this kind of thing has happened. I'm thinking of looking for a new job, but a lot of people I talk to tell me to just ride the gravy train along as I can. The 3 other times this has happened I was in an office, so I was limited.

When this happened at Oracle, I brought it up to my manager, and he decrease my hours.

If I stay, I'm not really learning anything, and I feel like I'd be wasting my time.

What is worse, is It seems that much of my job could be automated. I'm doing tasks that occur every month, that aren't that difficult.

I'm also scheduling, which seems like another thing that could be automated.

I get the feeling that the managers just got together, and asked everyone what tasks do they not want to do, and we will make a position for that.

The other Thing, is I'm expected to be part of meetings where I don't understand what's going on. Everyone else is a contributing member of the conversation. This reminds me of when I was working for a nonprofit, and they had meetings in another language. This time it's all just technical terms.

What do you guys think?

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

Advertisement

If you don't understand what is going on in meetings you need to address it. Ask questions and/or do research to figure it out. Otherwise your coworkers will assume you know and understand it.

As for idle time, it is better to act and accomplish something rather than waiting for orders. You should ask for extra tasks and look at the backlog, but if you don't have anything, find something and tell your boss. “Since I don't have any assignments right now, I will work on X.”

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement