🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Ark of Loif - Reveal

Started by
6 comments, last by aneoas 2 years, 11 months ago

Hello!

The game I developed with the help of myself is now finally ready to be unveiled. Feedback is sincerely appreciated!

Advertisement

The shooting part of it looks very fun where you're being attacked from all sides. I would say that the text in between the gameplay sequences looks very amateurish. I think you should make the text match the style of your game better if you want it to look more professional.

Thanks for checking it out,

The text is indeed very simple, as is the whole trailer. I wanted to show the game a little, without extra polish. I've collected some surprisingly good feedback. I will make an upgraded version of the trailer soon, when the game graphics advances a little.

aneoas said:

Thanks for checking it out,

The text is indeed very simple, as is the whole trailer. I wanted to show the game a little, without extra polish. I've collected some surprisingly good feedback. I will make an upgraded version of the trailer soon, when the game graphics advances a little.

Totally get what you are saying. Definitely spend time to get the game ready and polished before you do the same to the marketing material. But once you have the game ready and polished, marketing it in a professional way can act as a multiplier of your previous efforts and increase the interest massively (or so I believe).

I agree,

I'm not sure if i looked at this trailer as a proper marketing effort, more along the lines of “look, im here". Retrospectively, I should have done a few extra steps. Im sure i will catch up.

Anyway the game is a hardcore action shooter with some rpg elements, but not that deep. My focus was replayability. There are modes that unlock after you finish the game for the first time.

If you have experience in releasing and or marketing games, and would be willing to share information, im all ears. I grew up playing Diablo 1, and Loif is drawing its inspiration from that a lot, with a sci fi twist.

aneoas said:

I'm not sure if i looked at this trailer as a proper marketing effort, more along the lines of “look, im here". Retrospectively, I should have done a few extra steps. Im sure i will catch up.

If you have experience in releasing and or marketing games, and would be willing to share information, im all ears. I grew up playing Diablo 1, and Loif is drawing its inspiration from that a lot, with a sci fi twist.

Sorry if I came off as knowing more than I do. It was just a thing that jumped out at me when I watched it. I think you can find a lot of post-mortems along with marketing strategies and numbers on the gamedev subreddit. Regurgitating a thing I read there, if you want to have a successful marketing campaign you should post material regularly and not just upon release. And if you want a popular post on reddit it seems that you should say something about your struggles and how this is your dream etc. Those seem to be the posts that gets views while the posts that just show the game without talking about any struggles get mostly ignored (unless they look spectacular).

Those are probably the only two things I know about marketing games and I'm not even sure they are correct, lol.

Yes, the way the text is done kinda stands out the bad way. I'm reading just about anything i can find that seems to have value. Well, that is definitely true, the story sells. There is a story about how the game came to life, i have to put it together.

I almost lost my mind doing the game, so there is the struggle. And about reddit, i made an account and got banned instantly for "impersonating" a person. Myself apparently.. So until this gets fixed i have time to summarize my story :-)

I think what will work really depends on the game, and on the target audience.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement