🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What is the most basic structure of AI?

Started by
3 comments, last by Buy2Stamps 22 years, 6 months ago
I have been trying to make a AI program, but it just seems so....well....primitive. So far it has 2 randome number generators, and 3 logic structures that use the numbers. The problem is...it''s not really smart enough. Can anybody tell me what is the basic structure of AI? -Thanks
Advertisement

Well,

first you need to know what type of problem you want to solve before you can start thinking about using *any* type of AI
Edo
All I really want to know....how AI genarally works.

-Thanks for replying
well AI is about making decisions based on observations. So in a world with fire pits and treasure chests you might have have something along these lines:

if the area ahead is empty keep walking
if there is treasure in front of me pick it up
if there is treasure on my right turn right
if there is treature on my left turn left
if there is a fire pit in front of me turn left or right

That is about as basic as it gets. Those rules turn info into action. So AI is about about observations and actions. There is also a notion of internal state. Intelligent beings don''t just react to the moment, they might act based on something that they have planned or they might act differently if they are wounded from previous battles. So not only do they look at the world around them, they look at themselves.
Check out these

Artificial Intelligence I Course

Artificial Intelligence II Course

Also search google for "generation 5", "aidepot", "gameai" and you will soon find more information than can be digested in a sitting.

(Editing this post to see if it activates the HTML (disabled for anonymous posters since some were abusing it -- Kylotan)

Edited by - Kylotan on December 17, 2001 8:28:26 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement