🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

SlimdDX or Microsoft Managed DirectX

Started by
4 comments, last by MariusBellum 1 year, 11 months ago

I used to be pretty good at programming directx game code back in direct3d 9. I got into 11 a little bit and then switched to something else. The problem now is I don't know what to use and where to get it. I downloaded the latest SlimDX and it's not agreeing with Visual Studio 2022. Perhaps it's outdated?

I need some direction and how to proceed. I'm trying to develop a photo editor in directx.

Thanks for any help.

Devin

Advertisement

Both Managed DirectX and SlimDX are pretty outdated by now. A better alternative would be SharpDX, which is netstandard2.0 I think, but it is now also discontinued (the repository is archived and won't be developed anymore).

If you want something resembling SharpDX that continues where it left, consider Vortice: https://github.com/amerkoleci/Vortice.Windows

If you want something more low-level and closer to what you would see in C++ examples (but in C# 10+), you can take a look at TerraFX:

terrafx/terrafx.interop.windows: Interop bindings for Windows. (github.com)

Both of them have NuGet packages available and are updated regularly.

Another option is Silk.NET.

@TapeWorm Thanks. I'll look into. It may take me a few days to have a look.

Silk.NET is a pretty good option either for OpenGL or for Vulkan. It also has bindings for OpenAL and some other things.

However, the state of the bindings for DirectX is poor and not as well thought as SharpDX, Vortice or TerraFX.

So, if you are going for Direct3D, I'd choose Vortice (most similar to SlimDX). If you are familiar with unsafe C# code and want to go lower-level, I'd try TerraFX instead.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement