🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Vulkan high execution time. sync issue or limited gpu bandwidth?

Started by
3 comments, last by jgkling 1 year, 9 months ago

Hi!

I'm currently working on a Vulkan Renderer and during performance testing/profiling i noticed that some shader/rendering operations took longer than expected. (I'm cyrrently trying to figure out if this is some form of synchronisation issue or if this is simply a performance characteristic of my GPU.)

Note that i'm testing this on an Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 (6GB) GPU. (Which to be fair is a fairly old GPU nowadays.)

So to make this short here is an example of an SSAO shader that i'm using:

#version 450
#extension GL_ARB_separate_shader_objects : enable
#include "normalCompression.glsl"

layout(binding = 0) uniform SSAOshaderUniform {
mat4 invViewProj;
mat4 projection;
mat4 normalViewMatrix;
vec4 ssaoKernel[32];
vec2 resolution;
vec2 noiseScale;
int kernelSize;
float radius;
float bias;
} ubo;

layout(binding = 1) uniform sampler2D texSsaoNoise;
layout(binding = 2) uniform sampler2D texViewDepth;
layout(binding = 3) uniform sampler2D texViewNormal;

layout(location = 0) in vec2 fragTexCoord;

layout(location = 0) out vec4 outColor;

vec3 depthToWorld(sampler2D depthMap,vec2 texcoord,mat4 inverseProjView){
 float depth = texture(depthMap,texcoord).r;

//vec4 position = vec4(texcoord,depth,1.0);
       vec4 position = vec4(texcoord* 2.0 - 1.0,depth,1.0);

position = ((inverseProjView)*position);
       return vec3(position/ position.w);
}

vec3 reconstructViewPos(vec2 texcoord,float depth,mat4 invProj){

vec4 clipSpaceLocation;
clipSpaceLocation.xy = texcoord * 2.0f - 1.0f;
clipSpaceLocation.z = depth;
clipSpaceLocation.w = 1.0f;

vec4 homogenousLocation = invProj * clipSpaceLocation;
return homogenousLocation.xyz / homogenousLocation.w;
}

//Plane equation. Define a plane pointing towards the +Z axis, use "coords" to select a point on the plane. Returns the z-coordinate at this specific point
float calcDepthOnPlane(vec3 planeNormal,vec2 coords){
return (-planeNormal.x * coords.x - planeNormal.y * coords.y)/planeNormal.z;
}

void main()
{

int kernelSize = ubo.kernelSize;
float radius = ubo.radius;
float bias = ubo.bias;

//position and normal should be in viewspace!
vec2 fragPosCentered = (floor(fragTexCoord * ubo.resolution)+vec2(0.5,0.5))/ubo.resolution;//ivec2(floor(fragTexCoord * resolution));

vec3 fragPos = depthToWorld(texViewDepth,fragPosCentered,inverse(ubo.projection));//ubo.invViewProj);
vec3 normal = (ubo.normalViewMatrix * vec4(normalDecode(texture(texViewNormal, fragPosCentered).rg),1.0)).xyz;
vec3 randomVec = (texture(texSsaoNoise, fragTexCoord * ubo.noiseScale).xyz * 2.0) - 1.0;  
randomVec.z = 0.0;

vec3 tangent = normalize(randomVec - normal * dot(randomVec, normal));
   vec3 bitangent = cross(normal, tangent);
   mat3 TBN = mat3(tangent, bitangent, normal);

// iterate over the sample kernel and calculate occlusion factor
   float occlusion = 0.0;
   for(int i = 0; i < kernelSize; ++i)
   {
       // get sample position
       vec3 samplePos = TBN * ubo.ssaoKernel[i].xyz; // from tangent to view-space
       samplePos = fragPos + samplePos * radius; //viewspace pos

// project sample position (to sample texture) (to get position on screen/texture)
       vec4 offset = vec4(samplePos, 1.0);
       offset = ubo.projection * offset; // from view to clip-space
       offset.xyz /= offset.w; // perspective divide
       offset.xyz = offset.xyz * 0.5 + 0.5; // transform to range 0.0 - 1.0
       // get sample depth
       float sampleDepth = depthToWorld(texViewDepth,offset.xy,inverse(ubo.projection)).z;//depthToWorld(texViewDepth,offset.xy,inverse(ubo.projection)).z;//texture(gPosition, offset.xy).z; // get depth value of kernel sample

// range check & accumulate
       float rangeCheck = smoothstep(0.0, 1.0, radius / abs(fragPos.z - sampleDepth));
       occlusion += (sampleDepth >= samplePos.z + bias ? 1.0 : 0.0) * rangeCheck;            
   }
   occlusion = 1.0 - (occlusion / kernelSize);

vec3 fColor = texture(texViewDepth, fragTexCoord).rgb;

outColor = vec4(occlusion,occlusion,occlusion,1.0);
}

Note that i used a radius of 0.1 to make sure that sampled pixels are as close as possible together. (even with that performance is horrible. Normally i use a larger pixel radius.)

Fairly standard SSAO with one addition where i sample the geometry normal (once) and use this to improve subpixel accuracy.

So the shader taps the Depth buffer once (32 bit floating point format), the normal buffer once (VK_FORMAT_R16G16_SFLOAT encoded normals) and then taps the Depth buffer multiple times depending on how big the kernel is.

I selected a radius of 0.1 (in view space) and then made two tests, once with 16 samples and once with 32 samples.

This is at FullHD (1080p) resolution.

32 samples:

16 samples:

You can see that the ssao shader takes over 5ms to execute with 32 samples. Over 3 with 16. (Which seems a bit excessive?) This goes up if i use a bigger sampler radius.

Removing the entire for loop reduces the execution time to 0.09 ms.

Another thing i noticed is that a "simple" shader which renders data into the gbuffer takes also a while to execute.

Note that the GBuffer is rather large (which i have to optimize). I tested the performance by only writing to 4 attachments at once (all of them 32 bit buffers) as well as a 32 bit depth buffer.

It takes 0.4 ms to render the (rather simple) geometry. (Which might not seem a lot but if you want to cram all your rendering into a timespan of 16.6 ms, then spending 0.4ms on a “basic” mesh is a lot imho. This gets worse the more attachments you add.)
Accessing all attachments in the shader takes 0.8 ms.

This is the shader:

#version 450
#include "normalCompression.glsl"
#include "normalFilter.glsl"

layout(binding = 1) uniform sampler2D sAlbedo;
layout(binding = 2) uniform sampler2D sNormal;
layout(binding = 3) uniform sampler2D sMetal;
layout(binding = 4) uniform sampler2D sRoughness;
layout(binding = 5) uniform sampler2D sEmissive;
layout(binding = 6) uniform sampler2D sAo;
layout(binding = 7) uniform sampler2D sShadow;

layout(location = 0) in vec3 fragColor;
layout(location = 1) in vec2 vTexcoord;
layout(location = 2) in vec3 vNormal;
layout(location = 3) in vec3 vModelViewPosition;
layout(location = 4) in vec2 fragTexCoordLightmap;
layout(location = 5) in float emissionMultiplier;
layout(location = 6) in mat3 tangentToWorldMatrix;

layout (location = 0) out vec4 gAlbedo;//32 bit RGBA8
layout (location = 1) out vec2 gNormal;//32 bit R16G16
layout (location = 2) out vec2 gNomalGeometry;//32 bit R16G16
layout (location = 3) out vec2 gNormalClearcoat;//32 bit R16G16
layout (location = 4) out vec4 gMetallicRoughness;
layout (location = 5) out vec3 gEmissive;
layout (location = 6) out float gShadow;

void main() {

gAlbedo = texture(sAlbedo, vTexcoord) * vec4(fragColor.rgb,1.0);

vec3 normal = filterNormalMap(sNormal, vTexcoord);
gNormal.xy = normalEncode(normal * tangentToWorldMatrix);

gNomalGeometry.xy = normalEncode(normalize(vNormal));
gNormalClearcoat = gNomalGeometry;

//ignore other attachments to test write performance on only 4 of them.

}

Pictures: (Note that only the floor/grid hightlighted in wireframe is rendered.)

So has anyone an idea/input as to where i could look for the cause? Is this simply the performance level that i can expect of a GTX 1060 or is this likely caused by aggressive synchronisation on my part?

Advertisement

(I hit reply early by accident, sry I’m on a flight about to take off)

This thread hasnt gotten a lot of attention but any progress in your end? i can hazard a bunch of guesses.

If the gpu time goes down as you comment stuff out in the shader it’s probably not cpu side or synchronization. btw it’s a desktop gpu right, not laptop?

Sounds like you’re pretty gpu memory bound, though the texture formats you’re using I think are fine. What are the resolutions of your source textures like Albedo and normal? Are you mipping?

A classic optimization is to use group shared memory for the kernel, but it’s less clear to me how to apply that here since it’s not a fixed pixel size convolution like say Gaussian blur or sobel. I havent done SSAO myself. Btw also, consider moving it from what im assuming is a full screen pass pixel shader to a compute shader, can’t speak to nvidia but on amd it definitely can have performance effects, they are not equal. ideally all post process effects go through compute.

what profiler is that on the bottom? Nsight? I would expect you can get performance counters of the different pipeline stages or something, not that they’re very easy to interpret but maybe you can discern if it’s memory or something else. I know AMD’s RGP profiler better

The GPU i'm using is a Desktop GTX 1060. The profiler seen on the screenshots is Nsight.

I'm still not entirely sure what causes those rather high measurements. I know that i'm bandwidth bound but it still seems rather weird for some of the commands to hugh such a high execution time. (even on lower resolutions.)

Currently i'm refactoring the renderer as after reading up/investigating a bit i noticed that the renderpass synchronisation wasn't behaving as expected. (I oversynchronized it + it seems that i still don't entirely have a grasp about how to deal with the built-in synchronisation feature of renderpasses after reading the spec.) I ended up removing the renderpasses in favour of the dynamic renderpass feature which was added to the Vulkan 1.3 specification. (Mainly because i don't have to deal with any kind of implicit synchronisation before/after renderpasses and can design a much more clearer/simpler API around it where synchronisation is exclusively done by manual vkCmdPipelineBarrier commands.)

Once i have moved everything to 1.3 and adjusted/optimized my barriers i'll do another performance test and see if this has been improved or not.

Cool cool, feel free to update after your refactor is done. I just changed my side project over to use the Vulkan dynamic rendering as well actually. This is not really related to the original post, but just fyi about dynamic rendering, the validation layers don't work for them right now, so you get a bunch of false positive messages: https://github.com/KhronosGroup/Vulkan-ValidationLayers/issues/4497
so

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement