🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How do you use OpenStreetMap as a base for a game?

Started by
2 comments, last by a light breeze 1 year, 9 months ago

I am looking to use OpenStreetMap as a 'base' for my 2d RTS game. It's a fairly simple project, but I'm stuck at this seemingly simple problem. What I want basically, is to use OSM instead of a handmade map. OSM would not need to interact with game objects (apart from the player being able to 'walk' across the map).

My questions are: How can I do it? Is there maybe a game engine that supports this feature?

Thanks

Advertisement

Have you asked openstreetmap for help? There's a Help button right on the site.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Seriously?

No, this is not a simple problem. As a rule, if you don't know how to solve a problem, then you shouldn't assume that the problem is simple. That you are calling it simple tells me that you haven't even really thought about the problem in depth. You are simultaneously asking for help and devaluing that help (by calling it “simple”). That's not a good recipe for actually getting help.

Hey man, the reason I called it simple is because I almost solved it, but turns out I made mistakes along the way that I coulnd't identify and solve, so, if I almost did it, I thought someone who has more experience (anyone here) could solve it easily. No need to get all upset, it's not a big deal

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement