🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Unity vs. Other professional game engines

Started by
7 comments, last by Tom Sloper 1 year, 8 months ago

Hi all, I'm not really sure where I should post this, and this was the first result when I googled “Game Dev Forum”, so I guess if you don't know the answer to my question, maybe you'll know somewhere better I could post this. So anyway, I have played around in unity and I know generally how the game dev process works using it and other similar engines like unreal, but I'm aware big game studios tend to have custom-developed engines, and I was just wondering how they work, do they have a fully-fledged GUI where you can create worlds visually like in unity or are they more like all the boilerplate code necessary to build a game(like graphics rendering boilerplate, audio boilerplate, a basic game loop, and things like that)? Also, what kind of process do developers take to build games using these engines, how much do they have to code from scratch, and how much is already implemented?

Thank you all for helping satisfy my curiosity!

Advertisement

gallantzm said:
and I was just wondering how they work, do they have a fully-fledged GUI where you can create worlds visually like in unity

I lack experience, but it surely is a yes. In various dev presentations we can sometimes see something like Frostbite, and it looks the same as Unreal. Similar to how Blender looks similar to 3DsMax.
Unreal and CryEngine where not public initially either, and when this changed everybody could see how they worked, and that they have all similar GUIs and features.

The main difference - beside details - is that the companies using them also develop their in house engines, so they can change and add what they want at any time.
By using Unity you can't do this, so the game development process becomes more of a content creation process, as i like to say.

Programmer71 said:
You have to think at UNITY like the sun at the center of a solar system and everythingn else revolving around it, period.

This is… Not accurate, I daresay! XD;

Unity is very popular, but nowhere near as essential as Programmer71 likes to suggest, I feel.

It's also not terribly relevant to the question at hand of the tools and development of in-house engines.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

Thaumaturge said:
Programmer71 said:

Please don't feed the troll.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

gallantzm said:
I'm aware big game studios tend to have custom-developed engines, and I was just wondering how they work, do they have a fully-fledged GUI where you can create worlds visually like in unity or are they more like all the boilerplate code necessary to build a game(like graphics rendering boilerplate, audio boilerplate, a basic game loop, and things like that)?

It depends on the game and the engine.

Most of they time they are a collection of tools. Tools are often built specifically for the game, the larger the game the more tools will be custom built for it.

Ultimately everything boils down to code and data. What you describe as “rendering boilerplate, audio boilerplate, a basic game loop” exist in every graphical game even if you don't see it. Just because you don't compile the code yourself like using Unity or stock Unreal doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Exactly how each game loads and processes the systems and their data is unique to each game implementation and their tools. Today's modern game engines like Unreal and Unity work as a modular engine core which then loads the as a secondary library. The secondary library can be what you consider the main game, and can just as easily load an editor as a secondary library, load plugins as a secondary library, load or unload whatever else they want as modules. It is quite a powerful model, and it's gained popularity over the decades. It isn't just used in games, but across a wide range of software.

For tools, often there are several asset editors that vary based on the game. On older games they would do things like manage sprite libraries and allow artists and animators and designers to manipulate data outside the game. In some games they are tools to modify design-adjustable values, sometimes they connect to a running instance of the game so they be modified in live view, other times they edit configuration files like xml data which get loaded in the next run. In some games they are tools integrated into the main game to allow direct adjustment. Other times they are raw data like data table files which can be edited in Excel or other spreadsheet programs and saved back out as CSV or run through export scripts. There can be tools for manipulating story trees, tools for localization and translation, tools for map editing, tools for editing interactions, tools for editing probability curves, tools for editing transition graphs, tools for viewing and editing physics, tools for viewing and editing UI widgets, tools for viewing and editing model snap points, tools for viewing and editing animation curves, tools for viewing and editing terrain, tools for viewing or editing various flows of data, tools for whatever else might be imagined.

Tom Sloper said:
Please don't feed the troll.

Fair enough, with my apologies.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

Thaumaturge said:
Fair enough, with my apologies.

No problem.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement