🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Let's use ChatGPT to (TRY TO) write a Breakout game in moden OpenGL

Started by
20 comments, last by Tom Sloper 1 year, 1 month ago

Vilem Otte said:
Among art communities (like ArtStation, Sketchfab, etc.) there is quite a push for NoAI tags. Of course AI can simply break the TOS and just steal it anyways. The problem is - that for AI still applies - “Innocent until proven guilty” and “Legal burden of proof stands on plaintiff”. With AI, this might be extremely problematic - defendant can simply hide evidence that your data were used for learning, and it'd be extremely hard to prove otherwise.

The problem is no the legal issues, copyrights, or giving credit.
It's way bigger: What we will see is… let me call it ‘creativity communism’.
Basically there is no way to give credit to thousands of sources. So it will not be done. And it will be normal after some initial outrage has settled.
After some time the idea of the individual creator will just vanish. Instead we get some kind of hive creativity. Some contribute input, some mix and match output, and we will no longer distinguish between the two.
If you draw something like a histogram of creativity across related industries, the bins will flat out. Spikes in the 1970s → uniform flatness in the near future.

How bad is this?
If you ask me, it's not bad at all. Some will still manage to create a peak. But it will be individuals, no industries.
And that's what i want to see anyway.
I think tech always acts as a kind of acceleration to trends which show up anyway. And the trend i currently see is that indie games made by two people are way better than $$$ AAA games.

fleabay said:
But maybe I'm requesting the wrong things first. (IE, the graphics before the logic)

Yeah, maybe. I thought you're quite nitpicking, requesting a destructor, asking about shaders, and such details.
If you want to approach it from a naive angle, which sounds intuitive to me, i would be happy with just any spaghetti code, and focus only on the issues where the AI needs real help.
I'm surprised it can indeed deal with shaders, OGL and even related frameworks, btw.
I'm also baffled if it indeed can cope with something like a project, containing multiple files.
Likely it needs a lot of storage for your session, and if your unlucky, maybe tomorrow when you come back, it might have everything forgotten from the former day?

Advertisement

fleabay said:
Also this might be better suited to the Blog or Project section. Not sure.

After you bugged me in PM to move it here, you want to move it AGAIN? Ask a different mod, not me.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@Tom Sloper You know good and $%*^ well that there is no functionality to move a forum post to a blog or project so why would I ask you to do that?

It took an act of congress to get a simple move done. It shouldn't even require a mod to do that. It should be built into the forum.

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

Also this might be better suited to the Blog or Project section. Not sure.

Moving… To the lounge you go! This isn't really a programming discussion, anyway.

frob said:
Moving… To the lounge you go! This isn't really a programming discussion, anyway.

Back to where it was before.

fleabay said:
It shouldn't even require a mod to do that. It should be built into the forum.

Complaints should go in the Comments Suggestions and Ideas forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Tom Sloper said:
Back to where it was before.

Haha.

Even so, building a system out of ChatGPT replays is not really a discussion about a person's own code, it isn't really a blog since it is a discussion, nor is it a project in the form the site supports, so really The Lounge is almost certainly the best place for it.

ChatGPT is an interesting beast. Lawsuits are already incoming, with copyright violations and license agreement violations as open questions, and more lawsuits being filed all the time. It is clear they grabbed a ton of open source software for their data corpus, and it still has an enormous (and dangerous) question mark about legality. Pulling in GPL sources was a troublesome decision for many of these tools, ChatGPT, Copilot, and others. It is still open if that means since the software is effectively a collage generated from the inputs, if that means the output is also subject to GPL terms, and if it were otherwise encumbered through license, if the college is encumbered by all the sources that were pulled in. The generated code could be encumbered by hundreds of licenses, including contradictory licenses, because of the decisions when generating the training corpus.

Right now it's a fun toy to play with, but whatever it generates is something I wouldn't touch for anything more serious thanks to legal concerns.

@JoeJ AI could destroy twisted art industry. AI can not destroy true art.
Art perception is corrupted by the greediness of human nature and modern art became a business.
In order some artist to be noticed he needs to obey the modern marketing rules - sell yourself for likes. Censor your art in order to avoid dislikes. Like others to get their likes back. Likes for likes. Spam you art wherever you can. From all you are doing, only 5% is painting, 95% of what you do is for marketing. It is a business scheme, not art anymore.
Being an artist is a state of mind. No AI and no other artist can take this away from me. I can sit in front of a white sheet and i feel euphoric. There are so many possibilities of what i could draw. My imagination starts to fly. AI can not take this away from me. Even if nobody else values my doodle. i value it and it becomes art, because i treat it like art.
About copyright… a part of the scientific community thinks our brain can only create a mix of already seen patterns. After a whole night browsing adult content, i close my eyes and i see copyrighted material. It pops in my mind. It is slightly different in my mind. It combined. Whom i have to pay the copyright for what my imagination sees…
Human painters study art in schools. The teacher comes to their place in the class room and takes their pens and erases some parts of their painting and paints it the "correct way". I remember my art teacher was banning smooth shades, he was deleting that, and making me using crossing lines to shade. This was in 8th grade. I did not go to art school. But it is my own experience. I heard other people sharing similar experiences. Anyways, i wanted to say that human painters sometimes are programmed how to paint. Directly by a teacher or by tutorials. Which is worse than being trained. Programmed to paint in a specific way is not art, it is a craft, not art. But even if somebody was not instructed/programmed how to paint, he is still learning by observing the world around us. Just like AI does. Should every 2D animation artist of kid cartoons pay a share to Tom And Jerry… because obviously he was inspired by the series. Voltron inspired me as a kid, i like robots now, surely everything i create or do today is somehow affected by this artwork. If i try to design a car now, it would look rather like Lamborghini Countach LP500 than Jaguar XJ220. Should i pay a share to Voltron for every car i sketch in my life… April O'Neil from the Teenage Mutant Ninja was one of my first crushes. Most probably if i paint a woman today, she will be affected by that image of April i grew up with. Who should i pay for having a crush with a cartoon as a kid…
What about Muse… Muse is like a virus. You see a demo of Unreal Engine and feel inspired to create your own engine. This is brutal, illegal, immoral, cruel, monstrous copyright violation attempt… don't do it. Think in something ugly, until your urge to create something as pretty as the copyrighted material that inspired you goes away. Take a cold shower if needed. Now that you have no inspiration no more, just go to sleep. It is the correct, moral, socially accepted by a majority of voters who you will never personally know, the legal thing to do. I am mixing pretend play with sarcasm a bit here. I hope you understand what i want to say. If you can not sleep at night and feel inspired, probably you are going to violate pure virgin innocent copyright, because you must have been inspired by something somebody else did. There is just no other way around. You just seen so many thing in your life. So, stahp it! Stop being inspired!
I would feel great if somebody felt inspired by my art. I activated somebody else, he will activate somebody else too. A big chain reaction of creativity, that promotes art, not fear. Fear of the one who has a more expensive lawyer…
Human greediness attempted to copyright genes of nature, the darkest black color and now it tries to copyright art styles and beauty itself.

Art was a greedy business scheme before AI. After AI, people will make art as a hobby. For personal satisfaction of their souls. Not for money. The way it should have always been. We should provide some Universal basic income maybe. Being given health, roof, food and an internet connection for free. To be doing our hobbies while robots work.

What about people who lack the skills, but have the inspiration... they can use AI now to express themselves.
What if the problem is not the lack of skills, but the volume of the task, AI can help.
What if i see the art of somebody and i can not unsee… What to do…

And finally - what AI does is what humans as a whole do. We could have intergalactic art expositions. AI made by humans will show what art of humanity as a whole looks like. AI made by aliens will show what art of alien kind looks as a whole. It is our humanity inside that model. It is us inside. A giant AI model is something to put inside a time capsule and when we are gone, it will show to others what humanity was. It is something to put on a Voyager and send it into deep space.

Then back to the original problem - AI is controlled by greedy people. Only corporations can rent supercomputers and access data big enough to train these large AI models. They will twist it, manipulate it, perverse it in all ways they can. Some day AI could liberate itself from hands of billionaires and will become the ultimate creation of human kind. I think i see the first signs already, but IMHO the day is way too far away.

@Mark_Edd Why are you further shitting on my thread with off-topic nonsense?

Please close this thread, it's been hijacked.

fleabay said:
@Mark_Edd Why are you further shitting on my thread with off-topic nonsense?

It was not my intention to cause you any mental anguish.

But your first post here wasn't about gamedev or programming. You signed up to post that off-topic bunk in a thread that I created. I responded to your provocation.

This thread should have been closed a long time ago, that's not on you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement