🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A few truespace 1 questions

Started by
10 comments, last by Brad8383 24 years, 4 months ago
First I can use all the textures in the material libraries but I have no idea how to use my own texture. When i add something to a material library its not textured at all and i dont know how to load one. Second assuming I can do the first question how would i make a polygon that fits the texture exactly? Third, is there a way to save the camera coordinates. I need this mainly becuase im using ts for 2d graphics and if I exit the program there is really no way to get the exact same camera position.
Advertisement
Okay...that''s quite simple.

When you create a new texture, it comes with all the standerd stuff. No texture, no filters, no glass effects, specular, everything.

What you do is in the texture library you might select one to like "cheat" to look at how they did it.

You know the button with which "apply''s" the texture to the object you have currently selected? Press it with your right button instead of left.

This will pop-up a few windows. I believe the first one''s are a few sliders, then there is a sphere (or cube) with a preview in it, and then there is some more windows with settings.

*tries to remember truespace 2...it''s a damn long time ago!*...

There will be one with four different things in it...*tries to remember* You can also set the kind of shader you are using (caligari phong or metal mostly), bump map, transpherency map, etc. There should also be "texture (map)". If you select that, right click on it again, and it will display you a little bar (and if you had a premade texture in there from an example) it will display a name.

There you can select the file you wish to use as a texture. The offset and such will "move" the texture over the object...and the other one (don''t remember name right now) will place that many textures in that axes on your object...like for a pattern, you can put it on 10 or even bigger for large objects...so it looks neat!

Further...just a tip:
The right mouse button does a lot in truespace. It will show you the options mostly of the menu you are accessing, also rendering I believe Truespace 2.0 still wasn''t witht he folding out menu''s, otherwise you can also hold the left button down for a bit and the menu''s will pop out, but I believe the interface make over was from 2.0 to 3.0.

Anyways...I hope this was a bit clear enough for ya. I know I don''t write that clear really...but it should be findable. I think?

If you''d like to reach me ...you can contact me at quindor@usa.net, I do not check this often...but I will respond when I see anyone''s mail.

The Quindor

a reply to myself...I''m to quick with responding as always.

Yes you can do all of this...truespace 1!!! though..wow...euh.

Will if you do the texture "import" as I said...you keep the offsets on 0 and then mapping on 1. That will ALWAYS make the texture exactly as big as the object it self...say we have a cube..it''ll project it precisely on one side.

The camera position it should just save if you use a camera?

The Quindor
quindor@usa.net
Nice to see someone else using trueSpace.

One place I check regularly is
http://forums.delphi.com/truespace/start/

You will find helpful advice there if you have a question to ask.

I have just started using trueSpace 3, and I have not found the help file particularly useful. There is a question mark icon on the interface though, and if you click on that and then a button it gives you a short demo of how that button works and what you can do with it. I don''t know if this is in version 1, but if it is I would highly recommend it.

Woop
I got my textures loaded now. The problem isnt stretching the texture to fit the rectangle. I want to stretch the rectangle to fit the texture. The reason is that my texture is a tennis court and the lines are one pixel wide so when it stretches it the lines get chopped up really bad. Yeah it would save the camera location if i saved as a scene right? Ive just been saving as object only.
Is this even possible?
What you need to do is reassign the U/V coordinates - I don''t even remember if this is possible in trueSpace1, it''s been so long since I''ve used it. You can''t really stretch the polygon to fit the texture, in all 3D package it works the other way around - you need to stretch the texture to fit the polygon.

-Nick Robalik
http://www.digital-soapbox.com
-Nick "digisoap" RobalikWeb & Print Design, 2D & 3D Illustration and Animation, Game Designhttp://www.digital-soapbox.com[email=nick@digital-soapbox.com]nick@digital-soabox.com[/email]
Well if you are trying to texture a tennis court I suppose that the actual visible part of the court is one polygon. So what you can do if this is the case is use the ''texture face'' icon on the texture roll out (it is the on that looks like a paint roller). To do this, select your texture, click on the paint roller, then click on the face you wish to paint. So when you texture the object it only paints the selected face and does not try to wrap the texture around the WHOLE object. Hope this has been helpful.
Job description : Duct Tape
I ear TS 1 is free !!

is there any url from where i can dl it ??

thks
It's good to be an outcast, you don't need to explain what you do, you just do it and say you don't belong there.
www.webattack.com.

I got my tennis court to look just fine. Now another question. Can I make a 2d rectangle and assign the coordinates by hand or do i have to use the polygon tool?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement