🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Bug when registering multiple methods with template arguments

Started by
1 comment, last by WitchLord 1 week, 4 days ago

Hello!

This is a follow-up of this issue: https://www.gamedev.net/forums/topic/712952-strange-behavior-when-registering-method-with-template-specialization-types/5450698/

The thread was closed because I didn't have time to work on the issue since I had to pause my scripting environment implementation. I went back working at it and I tried to understand the internals to see where the problem arises.

Just to recap what happens is that if I try to register 2 methods that return a specialized template type:

registerMethod("RecipeStep", "Slice<item::Stack> input()", CALL_METHOD_ARGS(RecipeStep, input, (void), DataSlice<ItemStack>), "");
registerMethod("RecipeStep", "Slice<item::Stack> output()", CALL_METHOD_ARGS(RecipeStep, output, (void), DataSlice<ItemStack>), "");

I get an error “Slice is not a template type”.

I debugged the implementation inside as_scriptengine.cpp and this is what happens:

First registration

• asCBuilder::CreateDataTypeFromNode(asCScriptNode *node, asCScriptCode *file, asSNameSpace *implicitNamespace, bool acceptHandleForScope, asCObjectType *currentType, bool reportError, bool *isValid) for return type is called
  • it loops through engine→GetParentNameSpace(ns) because RecipeStep is in data namespace
  • on second iteration ti = GetType(str.AddressOf(), ns, parentType) assign correct value
  • this branch is taken if( ti->flags & asOBJ_TEMPLATE ) and everything works fine

Second registration

• asCBuilder::CreateDataTypeFromNode(asCScriptNode *node, asCScriptCode *file, asSNameSpace *implicitNamespace, bool acceptHandleForScope, asCObjectType *currentType, bool reportError, bool *isValid) for return type is called again
  • This time ti = GetTypeFromTypesKnownByObject(str.AddressOf(), currentType); returns a asCTypeInfo* at first iteration (with different address than the previous one)
  • this branch is NOT taken ti->flags & asOBJ_TEMPLATE
  • method fails with msg.Format(TXT_TYPE_s_NOT_TEMPLATE, ti->name.AddressOf());

I hope this can help you pinpoint the issue. Some additional details:

• Slice is registered in global namespace as sizeof(void*), asOBJ_VALUE | asOBJ_TEMPLATE
  • Slice<item::Stack> is registered as sizeof(type_t), asOBJ_VALUE | asOBJ_POD | asGetTypeTraits<DataSlice<T>>()
  • RecipeStep is registered in data namespace

Advertisement

Thanks. This will definitely help identify the problem and the necessary fix.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Advertisement