Advertisement

Graphic Adventure Games... with PHYSICS!

Started by September 04, 2024 08:49 AM
49 comments, last by Blackberry 1 week, 3 days ago

Technical stuff aside, what do you think of the concept??

I think it's brilliant!

It's kinda like a metroidvanina! (A 3D Animal Well, kinda..)

Exploring, in whatever direction you choose, in whatever way you choose, gradually doing your what you gotta do, and gaining new equipment (abilities), that enable you to explore/master the game further!

Here's a list of some equipment/abilities:

Crate = now you can reach higher places!

2 crates stacked = now you go higher again!

Wood = ladders! bridges! ramps! ect!

Rope = find something to fix it too, and now go even higher! or further horizontally!

Helium balloons = go all the way to the top of the map now if you want!

Pulley system = to lift items to otherwise unreachable high places!

Air compressor = to inflate things such as;

Floaty ring = so now you can float over the water finally!

Toy Kite = glide on!

Cart = increased speed!

Toy claw = increases your reach!

Coconut = to throw at things!

Remote control car (with camera) = access to places that you can't otherwise (currently) reach!

Drone = same as above, but it flies!

Long hose = better than your short hose!

Torch = 'cause some places are dark!

Fan = if you stick that on the roof, and plug it into an extension cord, then slide down through the window below and plug in it into the power point there, you should get enough of a boost to be able glide on your kite over to where you need to get!

ect.

Blackberry said:
Exploring, in whatever direction you choose, in whatever way you choose, gradually doing your what you gotta do, and gaining new equipment (abilities), that enable you to explore/master the game further!

Sounds like an RPG, not like an adventure game.
In an adventure, there is usually progress through a main story line, which also serves as a big puzzle.
In an RPG i can go anywhere, there are independent quests, eventually connected by a branching main story.

For physics heavy adventure games similar to retro point and click, i would think of games like Limbo, Inside or Somerville. Simlar visual presentation and mood, but lots of physics puzzles and some platforming.
So if you want an adventrue game about puzzles, that's surely good inspirations.
But this concept would not work so well in 3D 1st / 3rd person, since oversight is bad and perspective projection makes it hard to estimate distance.

Regarding your list of interactive objects, yes - but i have seen all of those things in multiple games across all genres. Adopting generic mechanics is not yet a brilliant concept i would say. If we look at Zelda for example, they stand out becasue they give the player the ability to assemble and combine multiple objects, which then have certain properties to interact specifically with the world. So the creativity does not come from physics, but from the choice of which objects to combine. That's unique and brilliant imo, although they basically only adopted Garys Mod building mechanics to an RPG.
Zelda / Garys Mod are also good examples to show that active physics is more interesting than passive physics, meaning things which move in their own vs. things that don't and just lie around.

Advertisement

I'm not sure why I'm even bothering replieing to that nonsense but…..

Exploration is central in Adventure games!

And my game does have a main goal = make sure all the animals are cared for!

And an RPG has a batle system!

……..so it's absurd to say that I'm describing a RPG an not a Adventure Game (with physics and platforming)!

And Limbo and such are not adventure games, they are 2d puzzle platformers!

And I don't know what you're talking about wth “perspective projection makes it hard to estimate distance (in a 3D game)”, because there's plenty of 3D games which require a much greater degree of precision then simply making sure the rope goes above the pole, or else have to wait a few seconds while he pulls it back to throw it again!

And yeah, I'm aware that boxes to move and climb on is nothing new! But this type of game certainly is! (Seriously, the closest thing you could describe was Limbo……)

And I already praised TOTK myself for the same reason! The crafting element in that is really cool, and I want to see some of that in this game! But thats not to say there's anything boring about a simple hose in my game (it would be boring in TOTK because it serves no purpose!) as it serves a purpose!

And the mupitle objects don't have to be touching one and other to be combined! ….for example you can drag a crate somewhere to stand on to give you the extra high need to throw a rope over a high pole, which you can then swing on to get to a roof, which you can then use to glide off to where you need to be! That's 3 items combined in a creative way!

While if I were to make a game like this I would want the characters/story to be just as important in the game as the gameplay, the gameplay side of things could be that strong that you could make a great game without any NPC integration or story if you wanted!

A physics game like this could be simply a fancy escape room(s)! Where you can use dynamite! And can fly! (if that's what the creator desired)

Here's another idea! A horror this time…. and there's nobody to help you!'

You've been kidnapped by monsters and imprisoned, to be used their upcoming “ritual”….. and now you must escape!

These monsters are twice you size, and twice as fast as you, so hand to hand combat is not an option at all, and theres no guns!…..

But you can sneak into the control room! and begin locking doors! opening others! Sending fake mesages! Turn of their power! …..and you can make noise to distract! start fires to distract further! You can blow up walls! craw through air vents! send gass through air vents! Wear disguises! Set up all kinds of traps! Take them hostage! Make demands for their release! Frame other monsters for your actions! Make them fight each other! Sabotage their equipment! And do the stuff with the crates, ropes, pullies ect!

Eventually have them all cowering at your witt!

…..yeah, it's just a survival horror without any combat! With the focus on puzzles!

Kinda like little nightmares, but with open ended puzzles!

You could have one monster who exists in the shadows, that can only defeated by light….

And so the puzzle revoles around controlling light to defeat it.

This involves turning on/off powerboards, replacing broken fuses, turning on/off light switchs, replacing broken light bulbs, probably with ones you are already using, rotating lamps, opening/closing curtains and shutters, boarding/unboarding other light sources, using a torch, and portable lights (and doing all these things involves using ladders, and bridges, and extention cords, and such, to do), until finally you've this bastard into the corner and now it's time to unleash the cannon ball of light straight through it!

Blackberry said:
Exploration is central in Adventure games! And my game does have a main goal = make sure all the animals are cared for!

In Point and Click Adventures exploration is the same illusion as the impression that you can do anything.
The interface implies you can do anything, but you can only do certain predefined actions, and finding out which ones solves the puzzle piece by piece. If you miss just one action, you get stuck in the game forever.
Same for exploration: You feel you can go anywhere becasue you never know if ther is a action to unlock a new path leading you to a new location. But the truth is: You must go to any location the game has, otherwise you get stuck.

‘Exploration’ implies it's something optional you do at free will, eventually without a reason. But in this sense Point and Click has no exploration.

In RPGs, all those side quests are optional and not every place needs to be visited. You can go anywhere if you want, but you don't have to. This enables true exploration, but the downside is: They player may feel lost or insignificant. He may not not what he should do. He may not feel like achieving real progress after playing for hours.

Nothing of this is meant as critique on your concept. So far i only miss the Point and Click Adventure you have initially mentioned as inspiration. Which is no problem, since this genre is now dead for reason.

Blackberry said:
And Limbo and such are not adventure games, they are 2d puzzle platformers!

They are both, but ofc. it's closer to action adventures (e.g. the classic Another World) than to point and click. The adventure part of it is: If you miss to solve just one puzzle, you're stuck. Ther is only one way and order to solve them.

It sounds you intend to give players multiple options to solve a problem. Ideally the players can even come up with solutions you did not think of. Thus chances they get stuck are reduced, which is good, but then it no longer follows the classic point and click priciple of ‘there is just one static story and giant puzzle you have to pass through precisely as predetermid’ (which also is the reason why pointand click is dead).

Blackberry said:
And I don't know what you're talking about wth “perspective projection makes it hard to estimate distance (in a 3D game)”, because there's plenty of 3D games which require a much greater degree of precision then simply making sure the rope goes above the pole, or else have to wait a few seconds while he pulls it back to throw it again!

What i mean is: In a 2d actian game like Super Mario or R-Type you have perfect oversight of your surroundings. You can see enemies on your back, you can predict enemy trajectories precisely, enabling detailed tactics in moment to moment gameplay.
In a 3D game like Quake, you see only what's in front of you. Predicting trajectories of enemies or projectiles is never accurate, since distance along the camera front axis is hard to tell. Platforming barely works, and is used unly rarely to avoid constant player frustration.

That's a problem mainly for action games, but it will affect you too. Imagine the TIM game in 3D first person. You never see the whole level and it's hard to predict trajectories, so it's hard to think about a solution. TIM is a game about modeling chain reactions of many physical events to solve a complex puzzle, Portal is a game where you spend most time running around observing the scene from multiple viewpoints so you finally find the very simple puzzle about a single event you have to solve.

We loose a lot od stuff by adding one dimension. It's important to be aware about that.

Blackberry said:
And the mupitle objects don't have to be touching one and other to be combined! ….for example you can drag a crate somewhere to stand on to give you the extra high need to throw a rope over a high pole, which you can then swing on to get to a roof, which you can then use to glide off to where you need to be! That's 3 items combined in a creative way!

Yep, but the problem is: How do you design levels or a world to maximize such opportunities.
Currently you are excited about a vague idea, and you make up some examples of interesting chain reactions or sequences of actions.
But you overlook the fact that most ideas depend on level design, so they also depend on preparation of the designer.
It's easy to come up with up to ten such examples eventually, but for a whole game you need much more, but then just repeating similar ideas and problems might not work as well as your current excitement implies.

That's again not meant as critique. I just think its better to think about potential flaws earlier than late.

Blackberry said:
But you can sneak into the control room! and begin locking doors! opening others! Sending fake mesages! Turn of their power! …..and you can make noise to distract! start fires to distract further! You can blow up walls! craw through air vents! send gass through air vents! Wear disguises! Set up all kinds of traps! Take them hostage! Make demands for their release! Frame other monsters for your actions! Make them fight each other! Sabotage their equipment! And do the stuff with the crates, ropes, pullies ect!

Works great for a top down game wher you have oversight over everything, e.g. a RTS.
You can then observe how putting sleep gass into the ventilation system knocks out guards in nearbey rooms.

But in a first person 3D game, you can not observe the distant and indirect effects of your actions.
And that's the simple reason why we do not see much of this cool stuff in modern 3D games.
We all have those same ideas. But sadly they do not work as well as we imagine them within on our mental models where we observe cause and effect at multiple locations at the same time.

Go for it. Try it. Make it work as good as you can. But take my little warning with you and tame your expectations.

To me, the design process is more like this: Try all those ideas. Most won't work out. But some might, and maybe it leads to good mechanics, which are ideally simple and can be executed subconsciously while playing. Once i've found my small set of mechanics, i'll refine and likely reduce my intial vague design idea. It might lead me to a very different kind of game than initially thought.

Advertisement

You can call this an RPG if you want man, but nobody else does!

And you can say that Limbo is more like Grim Fandango than this is, but again nobody else will agree with that!

…and yeah, it was a little hard to know where you were going to land in early 3D platformers. But thats all solved now with better cameras, and shadows/indicators. And plus my game isn't Crash Bandicoot, so that's not really an issue at all for me!

……..you then tell me that I “overlook the fact that most ideas depend on level design”….. where did I do that!? This game, even more so than all the rest of games, most certainly requires well thought out levels to work! I agree 100%!

[abusive language deleted by moderator]

………Let's say a billionaire found the best programmers, and levels designers, and game them a billion dollars to make this monkey game, and so we knew all the technical stuff would be done properly! would the game be cool or not!?

Blackberry said:
You can call this an RPG if you want man, but nobody else does!

I don't do either, since i don't know your game.

I only give some feedback based on what you say, which is what you've asked for.
If you disagree, ignore it. But if congratulation about an early concept is all you want to hear, maybe don't ask for feedback in the first place.

You haven't really discussed the concept at all though!

You just stated the obvious!

That Video games will never be as real as real life! …….Yep!

That complicated games are hard to make! ….Yep!

And that good games need good level design! …….Yep!

………Let's say a billionaire found the best programmers, and levels designers, and game them a billion dollars to make this monkey game, and so we knew all the technical stuff would be done properly! would the game be cool or not!?

Blackberry said:
You haven't really discussed the concept at all though!

I tried my best. Consider the issue is the concept, not the respose.

As far as i can summarize your given concept we have:

You do like point and click adventures games.
You want to make a game with many interactive objects, based on physics simualtion, which the player can use to solve various example problems, set in an abandned zoo starring animal characters.

Go to a publisher and present them your concept. What do you think they might answer?
Would they say ‘Oh yeah! It's brilliant! Take all our money and make your game!’
Or would they say ‘Um - where is a design document? Where is a playable prototype? What's the story and characters of the game in detail? What genre is it? …come back once you have some of this ready for us!’

I tell you the same thing: Go make your game. Make something work and fun to play, keep adding stuff on top of that, refine your ‘concept’ as you go.

That's all i can do from here, but you perceive any response as hostile, critical, demotivating, or whatever.
It's not meant this way. And saying so three times should be enough. If you still want to quarrel, this is the wrong place. We don't fight each other about opinions - we try to help each other on solving problems.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement