🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

does AI have LOD?

Started by
10 comments, last by Edidas 22 years, 6 months ago
Does anyone know how to program AI with LOD (Level of Details)? If so, Can anyone suggest any source for me to get the basic concept of how it works? thousand times of thanks. Edidas
Advertisement
That's a cool idea.... the only application I can think of is the scenario where you have levels of AI command. Like in a strategy game there may be a central AI giving high-level orders to groups of units, and those orders filter down through the ranks until the hit the bottom and are basic commands. The same system works going upwards as well, a basic command from a bottome-tier unit reaches the top-level AI and is by then a strategic eveluation. I know I read a post somewhere that talks about this.... lemme dig a bit for it *rummages around bookmarks*

*few minutes later*
Damn, dunno where it is. Hmmmm......

Drew Sikora
A.K.A. Gaiiden

ICQ #: 70449988
AOLIM: DarkPylat

Blade Edge Software
Staff Member, GDNet
Public Relations, Game Institute

3-time Contributing author, Game Design Methods , Charles River Media (coming GDC 2002)
Online column - Design Corner at Pixelate

NJ IGDA Chapter - NJ developers unite!! [Chapter Home | Chapter Forum]

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

The only useful comment I have to make is that a number of commercial titles currently available already implement AI LOD, notably Republic.

In addition, virtually any title that comprises large-scale simulation (a la the Grand Theft Auto series) uses some form of LOD to eliminate redundant processing (any processing that will not be perceived by the user - or the reverse expression as any unnecessary processing that doesn''t break the simulation).

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
I recall seeing a postmortem or other feature on Gamasutra a while back describing the AI for a city racing game of some kind (can''t remember which one). I think they used a form of LOD - traffic was "dumbed down" when outside the player''s immediate sphere of influence.
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
I recall seeing a postmortem or other feature on Gamasutra a while back describing the AI for a city racing game of some kind (can''t remember which one). I think they used a form of LOD - traffic was "dumbed down" when outside the player''s immediate sphere of influence.

That would probably be Midtown Madness. I read it too (In Game Developer).

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
Dear Gaiiden,

thanks for replying me, please try to find that post out, otherwise my boss will burn my ass.....

million times of thanks,

Edidas
man, i don''t think i''d work at a place where they burned my ass...

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
I'm sorry, I have no idea where it went. I'll keep my eyes peeled tho.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Whats the difference between this "AI LOD" and AI designed similar to how the military works: generals give orders which filter down to ever larger groupings(battalions/etc)?

Good luck gettn code around here.

You might try looking at the "Brainiac" AI package for a possible solution, otherwise try something similar to my question: using a design similar to how the Military works.
quote: Original post by GalaxyQuest
Whats the difference between this "AI LOD" and AI designed similar to how the military works: generals give orders which filter down to ever larger groupings(battalions/etc)?

Exactly what i was saying.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement