🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Drawing Skills vs. Computer Skills

Started by
11 comments, last by Kandolo 22 years, 6 months ago
I have a question for the pro''s out there I''m considering possibly getting my masters in 3d Animation (through game developement, surprisingly enough, I won''t need an undergrad in art or anything...) My current undergrad is telecom production focusing on new media and art... Problem is, I am HORRIBLE at drawing things by hand. Yet, I''m fairly good with computer art. How hard do you think it would be to attempt to do something in 3d art without being able to draw well by hand?
- T. Wade Murphy
Advertisement
NOPE, "first walk, then run".

If you don''t manage 2d, then is tough to manage the 3d. In fact, you can made a complex structure in 3d, but later you must put texture, and texture is 2d!. Even more, for 3d mesh the common is to draw the contourn in 2d.

In any case, you can learn to draw in 2d in only 1 month, only with practice you can learn to draw.

-----------------------------------------------

"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
I should have been a little more specific... I can do art in 2d as well. My difficulty lies when things go beyond the computer screen... As in, on paper
- T. Wade Murphy

yes and no..

--bart
I had the same problem you had. i sucked at drawing by hand. But now i am great at 3d modelling and some what at textures. All i did was practice a couple of nights on 3d modeling getting the program down and now im pretty darn good
learn drawing on paper, it will improve your modelling and texturing skills as well as the same principles apply to all of them. and there´s really no excuse not to, you can learn the basics of drawing in under a month.

i recommend the book "Drawing on the right side of the brain" as a starting point.
well, just remember that modeling and 3d art isnt everything. some of the best games ever are still all 2d and drawn by hand.

>I am not text, I am not organized pixels, I am not killed by turning off your monitor, I am not isolated by turning off your computer. I just am.

Art was always my prime. Drawing by hand comes natural for me. As long as I have something to draw, I''ll draw it if I want to.

I would be better at computer art if it weren''t for one lousy feature-- the mouse. I hate using the mouse for drawing. It ergonomically annoying (my dad''s a dictionary) and after a while it gets all dirty inside and you have to clean it. Otherwise you''ll just have a grand old time trying to move it around where-- and when-- you want it to.

That''s easily solved, though, with a better desk setup and a computer drawing pad with that mouse-pen thingy (forget what it''s called).
Let me add something else-- Hase said to practice drawing on paper. Let me be more specific if you really want some help-- draw, or <i>sketch</i>, rather, from life. If you play basketball with some friends one day, draw a sketch not too long afterward of some basketball players. Just do it and do it with a little modest style. Always draw from life.

And remember one thing-- always focus on one little feature of the human look, and practice that. A while back, I practiced drawing a Russian or Serbian man''s face, paying attention to the jaw, nose, and eyes. These are noticeably different from, say, an Irish or African man''s facial features.

Just sketch, and sketch with style.
someguy:

first, get an optical mouse. second, get a wacom pad (there´s really no excuse).

Then again I think that you can essentially do the same things with the mouse, the tablet doesn´t make you better at computer art, just faster.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement