🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Blender and the License Agreement

Started by
2 comments, last by Some Guy 22 years, 6 months ago
I read through the license agreement that comes with Blender, and I''m a little confused by it. I know you can''t distribute Blender itself for money, and it is not a GPLed program, but can you put out the images and movies you make w/ it for some commercial profit? IE, can you use the models and animations you make with Blender in a commercial game or something?
Advertisement
quote: says the Blender EULA,
In no event shall NaN or its employees, agents or suppliers be liable for any direct, indirect, consequential, incidental, special, punitive, or other damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of business profits, business interruption, loss of business information, claims of third parties, damages as a result of injury to any person, or any other loss) arising out of or in connection with the license granted under this License Agreement or the use of or inability to use the Software, even if NaN has been advised of the possibility of such damages.

They mention nothing about liscense to your intellectual property, which is an oversight. You''d assume that this means it''s all yours.

THIS CLAUSE HEREBY RELIEVES THE POSTER OF THIS MESSAGE FROM ANY RESPONSIBILITY FROM THE INFORMATION HEREIN CONTAINED. USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Just a disclaimer
ZE.

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

What''s all mine? Blender or the stuff I make with it? <i>Honest</i>ly.
Well, I just found the solution to this little problem-- Blender Publisher. There are 2 versions of Blender, much like there are 3 (I think) versions of Maya-- there's Blender Creator, which is free but still extremely powerful, and Blender Publisher, which is unlocked by purchasing a key-program from blender3d.com. This adds extra functionality to Blender, and has a different license agreement that allows, without any oversight, for commercial use. Actually there are several different licenses for Blender Publisher, and each one has different restrictions and has a different price.

Heck yeah!

---EDIT---

Just checked the prices for the different Blender Publisher licenses. They're not too bad, considering the competition.

For an unlimited license that can be used on any number of computers by any number of people, etc., it's under $2500. Of course, this might be much for a single person working on a freeware game (in which case you should just get Blender Creator), but consider the fact some years ago, a 386 computer could cost around $3000. And normal people bought them. Obviously, a moderately successful team that is smart with their money can afford this now or in the future.

If you have the money, why not just by the unlimited license and have everything you'll ever need?

Edited by - Some Guy on January 3, 2002 5:27:29 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement