🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A graphic engine for protoyping

Started by
15 comments, last by ahw 22 years, 5 months ago
Hello folks, I have been thinking about that one for ages now. I need a 3D engine to make some prototyiping for my Master''s report, and so I have been considering a few. I thought for a while of Halflife, the SDK is huge, but my main concern is that I would have a hard time making modifications for my own stuff... then I discovered that Garagegames were releasing the source for Tribes2 ?! so I am a bit more enthusiastic about that one, but still... And yesterday, I discovered this thing called DarkBasic. The box showed nice screenshots, and I had heard of it here before. I must say I am more interested in a already tried and tested engine (such as the Torque engine, or HalfLife engine), mainly because I want to test my AI in a "realistic" environment (that is, a professional level graphic engine, to see how complicated the AI can go before the engine goes crawling). Now, does anyone here has any comments on those engines I am considering ? Have you coded with them, and how satisfying was that ? In the case of DarkBasic, how easy is it to create your own map structure, is it really low level coding or what ? Also, I am still desperately looking for _proper_ tutorials or articles about Bot coding in Tribes 2 or HalfLife. Is it jsut me or there is no material whatsoever on the Net ??? thanks for your help, Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Advertisement
isn''t botman''s template code tutorial enough for writing a hl bot ?

@$3.1415rin
I used the dmeo version of Dark Basic which can create exe''s but they have pop up screen at the beginning. It is very simple to learn, comes with good example games, and is based on DirectX (I think).

BTw Good luck on getting your masters.

Also, where cna you get the source for Tribes 2?
Puzzler : I think I am gonna have to get that demo of this DarkBasic thingie, then...

well, Garagegames.com is the place to go to *buy* (for a 100$) the Torque engine (formerly known as V12) that powers the fabulous Tribes 2. They had to remove the AI code from the source because of Sierra (too bad for me), but apparently that''s pretty much it.

as31415rin : well, I know of Botman''s tutorials. The problem with this type of stuff is that''s it''s not theoretical enough for me, which is what I am really looking for : general thoughts about the conception of Bots, so that one could then code them in any language, adapt them to any game. I have read some fabulous papers on sniping and grenade throwing written with a modified Quake engine. The theory there was very well explained and this was a great resource for me. but that''s pretty much all I have found so far

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
the cgf ai stuff ? yes, nice texts, although i wouldnt ever have had the time to write sth. like this

according to the thread''s title i just thought you were looking for an engine to build your AI stuff upon ....

@$3.1415rin
quote: Original post by ahw

Also, I am still desperately looking for _proper_ tutorials or articles about Bot coding in Tribes 2 or HalfLife. Is it jsut me or there is no material whatsoever on the Net ???

thanks for your help,

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

I'd say the best 'bot tutorials are, really, looking at other 'bots. I'm sure there must be some smallish papers or something written on the subject on one of the various 'bot sites but study of the code will generally take you from theory into practice.

Good luck....

Ferretman

ferretman@gameai.com
www.gameai.com

From the High Mountains of Colorado

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

Edited by - Ferretman on January 9, 2002 9:51:11 AM

Ferretman
ferretman@gameai.com
From the High Mountains of Colorado
GameAI.Com

There''s always genesis 3d. Never used it, but it''s free.

Alex Broadwin
A-Tronic Software & Design
-----
"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me."
"The answer is out there."
"Please help, I''m using Windows!"
Alex BroadwinA-Tronic Software & Design-----"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me.""The answer is out there.""Please help, I'm using Windows!"
You need to consider the fact that you want a game engine more than a rendering engine. With an already made game, you can plug in your AI very quickly and get cool results (Q2/Q3/HL). With a 3D engine, you''ll need to code up a fair bit of logic and make up an interesting environment even before you can start the AI development. I was in a similar situation, and basically ended up developing a game MOD with a bit more AI. Keeping the code modular will allow you to change its applications later if you want.

Alex

Artificial Intelligence Depot - Maybe it''s not all about graphics...

Join us in Vienna for the nucl.ai Conference 2015, on July 20-22... Don't miss it!

I own the Torque Gaming Engine and I assure you that they are starting to replace the AI they had to remove. They are starting to build up the frame work for one at least.
Why get the Half-Life SDK or even the Tribes source (*gag*) when the full source to Quake 2 was just released?

I think a good bot resource would be the Neuralbot.

"If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed." - Albert Einstein

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement