🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive modeler

Started by
5 comments, last by superdood 22 years, 6 months ago
I''m trying to find a good but inexpensive 3D modeler. I saw truespace 4 on sale for only $99. Is that a good one to start out with? I''m using Visual C++ 6.0 and DirectX 8.0. Is it easy to immport the truespace files? I welcome any advice, or suggestions... Thanx, Josh-Man
Advertisement
free
------------
Blender
OpenFX
Now3D

shareware
------------
Milkshape 3D
CharacterFX
nothing is easy with Truespace . Seriously, it´s not exactly a prime piece of modelling ware, especially the animation part is still seriously flawed. Then there is the weird interface, which differs significantly from Max or Maya (which is where you´ll eventually be headed).

If you´re just starting out, why not use Milkshape or something simiar? It´s shareware, a lot cheaper than a hundred bucks fast to learn and rather efficient. Nice exporter too for most "standard" engines (the older ones at least). For specifics on exporting you can go to the mod community and ask for help there, there´s a vast user base.
There''s also POV-Ray at www.povray.org.
Or pov-ray.org I''m not sure which.

----
Herb M. (mdfmKoRn)
www.sky-meyg.com
s3202@attbi.com
I like Blender, myself. It''s free, and it''s very small (I think it''s a little over 1 megabyte compressed) so it doesn''t hog up the system resources and memory. The interface takes some getting used to, but before long, with practice and information, you''ll master it. So that''s not an issue. And the rendering system is POWERFUL. It doesn''t look like it at first, but Blender can really pop out some of the most intriguing images I''ve ever seen.

And, unlike this other free modeller I tried called 3d Canvas (crap), using smooth-shading while you''re still working on something does NOT affect your models. 3d Canvas, though, screws it all up.

And because Blender is so small and uses so little RAM, your project can have as many polygons and pixels as your system can punch out (Geforce3 or SGI users must be pretty happy people). Blender''s site has some really great animations you can look at, and most of them were made on TNT2 cards.

Check it out and see if you like it. And don''t judge a book by it''s cover-- you''ll know what I mean when you first start the program.

But of course, you''ll have to learn 3DSMAX and possibly Maya if you want to do this as a job (I don''t).

Oh, and I know for a fact that there at least used to be a free version of Truespace out there (I think it was version 3), but it sucks. I tried it and left Truespace forever. Truespace must have something good, because there are people who like it, but Blender, Maya, and 3DSMAX are all much better.

most game companies use 3dsmax as it is great for making ingame models and can still be used to make excellent rendered avi movie''s

most game companies i asked used 3dsmax or lightwave...3dsmax is used by the majority....maya is used for ingame also but not very popular overall

as for making animations as in max steel or similiar go for maya...and to a lesser degree lightwave...u can do similiar stuff in 3dsmax but it''s renderer is not as advanced as maya''s

blender does have some good features and is good for a start but it is just so different to 3dsmax that you will have to learn the whole process over...no company i know uses blender...some free 3d programs i tried where good enough to make any 3d model i desired..they took to long to get results though...and when its your job time counts...alot had absolutely no rendered either

i would reccommend 3dsmax just for it''s shear versatility..lightwave is not that different interface wise though if you wish to switch...i know of people who have had to do so to accommodate their employers [i.e games companies using lightwave]

if your going for an free modeller....well gmax is the best for ingame, pity bout the exporter issues [i.e cant make model''s for most games]

milkshape is solid, somewhat reliable and has good exporter updates..it''s great for mod''s...that 30 day trial doesnt seem long enough.....nendo is good for modelling also but is very unstable and exporter''s are dodgy...

i direct you to the links page - 3d modelling software at www.darkbasic.com ...has a good list

anybody interested...darkbasic is ok for checking game designs but the limitations are vast
i would only reccommend it to people who wish to see 3d models in there games without any real work
If you want a job as a 3d artist, you''re gonna have to do it anyway, so, make some money and get 3DSMAX and Photoshop. Blender can very well be used, like I said earlier, but if the artists can''t use it, I guess, it''s worthless to them. They ask for a paintbrush, and you give them a subatomic rendering tool.

Hobbyists have it easier, because Blender takes about two weeks to learn and 6 months to master-- if you''re creative and have a book and some tutorials at hand, that is, which is what Barnes & Noble and the Internet are for. And Blender Creator is free.

The Blender Publisher unlimited license is under $2500, but if you can find a better price on a better program like Lightwave with a similar license deal, I''d probably spend it on that. Wouldn''t you?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement