🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Best spaceship Chasing algorithm

Started by
23 comments, last by ZeroBit 22 years, 5 months ago
Whoa... fantastic source of info!

I particularly like the entry:

quote: Pursuit is similar to seek except that the quarry (target) is another moving character. Effective pursuit requires a prediction of the target’s future position. The approach taken here is to use a simple predictor and to reevaluate it each simulation step. For example, a linear velocity-based predictor corresponds to the assumption that the quarry will not turn during the prediction interval. While this assumption is often incorrect, the resulting prediction will only be in use for about 1/30 of a second. The position of a character T units of time in the future (assuming it does not maneuver) can be obtained by scaling its velocity by T and adding that offset to its current position. Steering for pursuit is then simply the result of applying the seek steering behavior to the predicted target location. See Figure 4.

I believe that this is what I have been saying all along.

Dave Mark
Intrinsic Algorithm Development

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Advertisement
Does you guys does a check whether any obstacles blocking the interception vector, or takes an action (define new inteception path) after collision occurs ?

hmm i guess the second way is much easier although the chasing AI would look a bit dumb
Check out those links from a couple of posts ago. That has a lot of that covered.

Dave Mark
Intrinsic Algorithm Development

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

oops...

sorry...silly me..

I love saving a GREAT AI link like the one given by anonymous for future reference!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement