🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Standard Vs Professional

Started by
8 comments, last by Bully 24 years, 4 months ago
I was wondering what are the main differences between the standard and Professional Microsoft Visual C++ compilers. And how to the differences effect game programming? -David
" The fastest code is the code you don't call "
Advertisement
The only thing i think is that the Professional version has a better optimizing compiler with it (i think i heard that) and InstallerShield...

-Syntax
-dieraxx@iname.com
-Lucas
i think you also need Professional to publish stuff, but i use codewarrior pro anyways, so why do i care?
You can publish with the Standard edition too, it''s only if you have the introductory or academic version that you can''t distribute the binaries.

Besides the optimizing compiler, the libraries that come with the pro version are better, and you get some additional tools, like the profiler. If you can afford it, go for the pro version, but if you''re just learning anyway, the standard edition will do the job.
Yeah I already have Learning Edition,

I think when I feel that it is appropriate, I will purchase
Pro edition. So I better start saving.

Thanks for your help.

-David
" The fastest code is the code you don't call "
I have the enterprise edition of VC++...is that any better or worse then the pro edition?

***BINS***
***BINS***
IMO, enterprise edition adds nothing for coding clients for games. It''s got great server side stuff, but otherwise it''s just like professional.

I also got backoffice server with it, if that kind of stuff is your thing.
quote:
it''s only if you have the introductory or academic version that you can''t distribute the binaries.

Actually, if you read the EULA of the Academic version of VC++ Pro, it is really no different than the regular, retail version. There are no added restrictions. In fact, the only difference between the Academic version of VC++ Pro and the regular version of VC++ Pro is about $300.

Also, interesting enough, the same is true for Borland C++ Builder 4.0 Pro. (Except the price difference is $600)

Note: This is Academic priced software, not Learning editions.

Josh
Joshhttp://www.jh-software.com
Oh...thanks for the info SiCrane! I really didn''t have any idea between the versions...

***BINS***
***BINS***
i think the ones where you cant distribute binaries is the free version with no libraries
Carl "trixter"[email=carl@trixoft.com]carl@trixoft.com[/email]http://www.trixoft.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement