🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

space strategy game AI

Started by
16 comments, last by Qatal 22 years, 5 months ago

Isn''t what Sivle suggested the sole basis of Object Oriented Programming, in which the abstraction level becomes smaller with every step you go? I agree with him that eventually it all comes down to designing a good chain of command.

As to the speech recognition: I just download the *basic" ms-speech api,trained it a little, and now I can code everything using speech-recognition. The app even talks back to me!
For example: When I say "Hi computer" it will say "Piss off!"

Very neat.
Edo
Advertisement
quote: Original post by edotorpedo
As to the speech recognition: I just download the *basic" ms-speech api,trained it a little, and now I can code everything using speech-recognition.

off topic:
sweet. i got dragon dictate several years ago and it sucked (either that or i mumble too much).
where can i download what you speak of?

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
now we''re on the right track. So I have the users of a particular resource tell the military which passes it down the chain of command to the point of arriving at the necessary system and taking the resource. and I assume that everything else would be implemented similarly, using a need that is then fulfilled by something capable of doing so.

down to the ship-captain level, am I on the right track trying to modify the "boids" model somewhat to maintain separation between ships in an assault force?

someone said "management science". explain, please. I have never heard the term.

i must be coming across to you guys as quite unprepared. And my designer must be coming across as not very thorough in designing things. hmm.

i did play Starship Titanic, and will look into that. Either that or MS voice will probably be adequate.

die or be died...i think
die or be died...i think
The more I think about it, the more essential the "chain of command" AI structure seems to be, for combat strategy games at least. You''d probably have 1 level that decides current overall strategy (probably the order in which to attempt objectives), a level below that which decides how and when units should be created/distributed in order to fulfill those objectives, and a lower level that decides how to actually use those units to achieve the objective. The top level is the overall strategy, the middle level is the construction of facilities and grouping of units, and bottom level is the pathfinding and target acquisition tactics. I think that doing it that way would simulate a real player quite well, in addition to making the system quite modular and therefore easy to improve. Just don''t forget to add defence in as a key objective, as well as the other explicit objectives.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]
I think you hit on it when you said "modular". Let''s face it... if we are doing the AI in OOP, we are breaking things up into small chunks anyway. How we classify and group the individual chunks is what we are talking about here. Of course, each individual chunk would be modified slightly by the decisions made by upstream and downstream chunks (is this begining to sound like a septic system?).

Dave Mark
Intrinsic Algorithm Development

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

To answer to krez: The speech api is downloadable at Microsoft''s site. (I only tested the VB-api)

try this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?url=/downloads/sample.asp?url=/msdn-files/027/000/781/msdncompositedoc.xml

What you always need to do is train the speech api, so that will be a problem when bringing out a game with speech recognition.
Edo
quote: Original post by Qatal

down to the ship-captain level, am I on the right track trying to modify the "boids" model somewhat to maintain separation between ships in an assault force?

I should think that would work just fine depending on the degree of formation you need. I think Homeworld does this and I had planned to do it in a space game I was working on.

Ferretman

ferretman@gameai.com
www.gameai.com

From the High Mountains of Colorado

Ferretman
ferretman@gameai.com
From the High Mountains of Colorado
GameAI.Com

What Sivle has described is hierarchical planning . If you want to implement a chain of command AI then I strongly suggest you do some reading on this type of planning.

Cheers,

Timkin

Edited by - Timkin on January 24, 2002 9:35:22 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement