🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Graphical programming book...

Started by
3 comments, last by Noods 22 years, 5 months ago
I once read about a book that was very good at explaining how art and graphics fit into programming. It was considered the "Black Book" of graphical programming. Does anyone know the book Im talking about, or a book that would be good for giving a good understanding on graphics in programming? Noods
Advertisement
The black art of 3D game programming

Author: Andre LaMothe

Publisher: The Waite Group

It''s hideously out of date in terms of technology(it predates directx), but the mathematics and processes are still applicable and useful.

The book is also thick enough to beat someone to death with, useful to know if you''re having management problems...
"If you go into enough detail, everything becomes circular reasoning." - Captain Insanity
Computer Graphics : Principles and Practice, Second Edition in C is pretty canonical - maybe thats the one you were thinking of?

Once there was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time is called the Dark Ages.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
I think he's refering to Micheal Abrash's Black Book (not LaMothe's book.) It's apparently available for free online. Realtime Rendering has a link to it. It's a very old book though (Quake I era, if not earlier) so a lot of the techniques don't apply now.

Here's the exact link to the download page.

Edited by - impossible on January 11, 2002 5:57:39 PM
Although it does seem to be a good book on graphics, it seems quite advanced. Is there a book that explains the fundamentals? (resolution, storing colors, color depth etc.) Will this book explain that as well?

Noods

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement