🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

estimations: how long does it take...

Started by
2 comments, last by Smoerble 22 years, 5 months ago
hi all... i would like to know how long you normaly need to create stuff for games ? like: if i want to create a really good looking (player)-model... does this take 1 week ? 3 weeks ? how long do you take ? and how long does a professional take ? smae for skinning my model... what should i expect there ? thank you michael
Advertisement
Everyone takes different lengths of time, and just because they can do model A in 2 days, doesn''t mean model B of the same complexity will take 2 days. Sometimes you get it right on the first try, and sometimes you still don''t have it right on the 10th...

Billy
From my experience most modellers are never totally happy with there work....its the whole perfectionist thing....

but there is a point at which it is about 90-95% done.....you will spend ages trying to get the last 5% done...so you have to know when to say enough is enough...i usually use somebody else to judge my models...such as a team leader otherwise i would never say i have finished them

as for the amount of time it takes....well that varies alot...if i am making a weapon model i usually take one day to model it, one day to texture and one day to animate...

the hardest part of player models is the texturing as when i started out on them i tried to do the detail in poly''s rather then textures which left me with a 3000 poly model...not good at all...most games nowadays use skeletal anims for models so it will be the animating that takes time .. i.e different anims for different badies/goodies as this is what tends to give the model it''s personality....i would aim for a week or less for one player model..that is offcourse fulltime for one week

it is possible to do any player model in a few hours if you know exactly what you want....
A good tip is to re-use parts of your model, like the arms, legs, even the head. You can also re-use the bone system you implement, just make sure you save it in a seperate file.
*********-.o-**********

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement