🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How can i fully use the RAM?

Started by
3 comments, last by SigwarthSoft 24 years, 4 months ago
Games just use 10 or a bit more mb of ram. If you use the almost full 64 mb of ram, it should run faster. SigwarthSoft sigwarthsoft@hotmail.com icq#: 62538030 Maastricht, Netherlands Stefan Sigwarth
Advertisement
If the game only needs 10 megs of ram (, most games use more) why sould it go faster with more RAM???
The difference for me between 64 and 128 MB of RAM with Baldur''s Gate was astounding. Think about it.
JeranonGame maker wannabe.
When I run my Windows without any games I have around 30 megs left of a total of 96!

If you had 64 then baldurs gate would have to use swap file, but not with 128 megs!
Using all the ram a system has to offer is a bad idea for various reasons:

- The days of DOS are over. Windows is a multitasking OS which can and usually does have multiple programs running at a time -- so usually you dont even have the oppurtunity to use al of the RAM. Furthermore, taking over all free RAM would be very bad coding style as the user couldn''t run anything else without having to use the dreaded swap file -- significantly slowing down their system.

- Loading in 64+ MB all at once would make loading times unbearable.

- Swapping in games isn''t caused by putting too little in memory -- it comes from putting too much in memory.

Plainly put, hogging up system ram is a bad idea.

--TheGoop

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement