books on c and c++

Started by
7 comments, last by halo2 22 years, 7 months ago
can anyone suggest to me a good book on c and c++ for someone who doesn't knkow anything about them and doesn't have any experience with this? Edited by - halo2 on January 22, 2002 10:25:08 PM
-Go on, have some junk food. It doesn't make you fat. It just makes you poo.
Advertisement
Get the latest edition of C How to Program or C++ How to Program by the Deitels. (just C++ if that''s what you really want to learn) Read them nice and slow; do every problem at the end of each chapter and you''ll do fine.

Justin
before you sink money into books you might
consider checking out some progressive tutorials
lying around on the net..
i''ve found www.cprogramming.com to be a good beginner
resource for c/c++.

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

Vash says: eat more donuts, play more games!

-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]
As far as learning C goes, I learned C from the "How to Program C" book from Deitel. It was my first year university programming course. Pretty decent book. Well written, and easy to follow. I''m still a big fan of K&R''s "The C Programming Language" though.

For C++ you can''t go wrong with "C++: The Complete Reference, Third Edition" by Herbert Schildt. It''s very well written and more importantly very useful as a reference guide after you''ve learned the material.

Hope this helps!
check out www.bruceeckel.com and download ''Thinking in C++''

I also highly recomend "The C Programming Language" (2nd edition) by: Brian W. KERNIGHAN and Dennis M. RITCHIE. Infact you migh hear some refer to it as the C Bible . I used this one as my first book on C programming, actually I had to since it was a required text for a 2nd yr course "Software Tools" .. don''t get me wrong though, this is a no nonsense book that''s straight to the point, and easy to read. So if you wont to buy only one book on C, then this is the one.

And jost to give you an idea of where I''m coming from; the first language that I was tought was Turing, my 2nd lang. was Java, and then I got into C.

So if I was to recomend a 1st language, it would have to be Java, since it''s simply more forgiving, where as C will let you shoot yourself in a foot. But again it all depends on what''s your cup of tea

Regardless of which language you choose (ther''s lots of them) make sure that you have a look at more than one tutorial (on the same lang.), before you buy your self a book.

There are plenty of tutorials here -> http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Programming/Languages/**insert_you_language_of_choice**/Tutorials/
quote: Original post by csDracus

So if I was to recomend a 1st language, it would have to be Java, since it''s simply more forgiving, where as C will let you shoot yourself in a foot. But again it all depends on what''s your cup of tea

The problem with Java is that very rarely is it taught right. Call me old fashioned, but I don''t think people should start with OOP right off the bat. Too many java books start off showing you how cool Java is by showing you how to make a Window and do a whole bunch of other things where you won''t know what 90% of the code is doing. I don''t like that approach. I hate programming assignments where you can only put code between the <> comments (luckily, I didn''t have too many of those).

I would say start with C. Write a bunch of programs that have nothing outside a main() function. Learn about variables, loops, and print statements (these will come in handy during bug tracking Then, move onto functions. And of course, follow it all up with a healthy dose of pointers.

If you start with C, you are also learning a lot of Java. At the statement level, C & Java are almost identical.

does thinking in c++ at www.bruceeckel.com assume that you have no programming experience?
i need a good book on c++ that assumes that you have no programming experience.

Edited by - halo2 on January 25, 2002 12:55:05 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement