Advertisement

Newbie needs help with LNK1168 error

Started by January 24, 2002 11:12 AM
4 comments, last by savagerx 22 years, 7 months ago
Hi, I got this "LNK1168" while trying to execute the program that I've done. No compile error. -------------------------------------------------------------- Original Error msg from VC++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ --------------------Configuration: Practice006 - Win32 Debug-------------------- Linking... LINK : fatal error LNK1168: cannot open Debug/Practice006.exe for writing Error executing link.exe. Practice006.exe - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s) -------------------------------------------------------------- I've searched MSDN and got this message. I have been searching for the cause of prob for ~2days and eventually ran out of ideas. I really need help! I've even checked my folder properties , option for clues but... Microsoft Platform Builder 4.0 Linker Tools Error LNK1168 [This topic is part of a beta release and is subject to change in future releases. Blank topics are included as placeholders.] cannot open filename for writing ---------------------------------------------------------------- The given file does not have write permission. ---------------------------------------------------------------- So, may I kindly ask how to solve the prob and the cause of it. I can produce my source if required. I welcome all comments and HELP pls. The road may be long, wind may be rough. But with a will at heart, all shall begone. ~savage chant Edited by - savagerx on January 24, 2002 12:25:06 PM Edited by - savagerx on January 24, 2002 12:28:18 PM
The road may be long, wind may be rough. But with a will at heart, all shall begone. ~savage chant
this error generally appears when your not exiting the program properly.

its not being shut down correctly and gets left in memory when you think its finished.

that would explain the not "cannot open file for writing error"

go over your code carefully checking for errors
Advertisement
Or if the file is read-only for some reason (check it''s properties from Windows)
Tkx, now I know the reason and it''s a costly mistake.
The road may be long, wind may be rough. But with a will at heart, all shall begone. ~savage chant
Whenever I encouter sucha problem I usually delete the exe and other files generated duting builds and then do a rebuild all.
You can see which programs are open by using Ctrl+Alt+Delete ( with Windows ) and then find the program and end it. But you shouldn''t let a program keep running like that because it will continue to use up resources even after it is shut down.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement