🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How many of you would be interested...

Started by
0 comments, last by Plasmadog 22 years, 5 months ago
I just want to get an idea of how much community interest there would be for an idea of mine, before I get too far with it. I''m working on a simple board game vaguely similar to chess, but on a hex-tile board (by the way, I don''t expect to make much/any money out of this, it''s really just a hobby project). I''m mostly interested in the graphics and the game logic aspects of it, and I don''t think I''d do well on the AI portion. So I was thinking that I''d write it in such a way that it could use plugin AIs, and supply a simple SDK with the game. But, I''d still need to supply some sample AIs or no one will be interested in the game long enough to want to write a better AI for it. So, how many of you would be interested in working on a just-for-fun project like this? I believe it would be an interesting challenge from an AI perspective, and quite different from anything that most of you would have worked on before. I''m not asking for help now, I just want see if I''m counting my chickens (so to speak), before I go ahead and write the thing.
You are not the one beautiful and unique snowflake who, unlike the rest of us, doesn't have to go through the tedious and difficult process of science in order to establish the truth. You're as foolable as anyone else. And since you have taken no precautions to avoid fooling yourself, the self-evident fact that countless millions of humans before you have also fooled themselves leads me to the parsimonious belief that you have too.--Daniel Rutter
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Plasmadog
I just want to get an idea of how much community interest there would be for an idea of mine, before I get too far with it.
I'm working on a simple board game vaguely similar to chess, but on a hex-tile board (by the way, I don't expect to make much/any money out of this, it's really just a hobby project). I'm mostly interested in the graphics and the game logic aspects of it, and I don't think I'd do well on the AI portion. So I was thinking that I'd write it in such a way that it could use plugin AIs, and supply a simple SDK with the game. But, I'd still need to supply some sample AIs or no one will be interested in the game long enough to want to write a better AI for it.
So, how many of you would be interested in working on a just-for-fun project like this? I believe it would be an interesting challenge from an AI perspective, and quite different from anything that most of you would have worked on before.
I'm not asking for help now, I just want see if I'm counting my chickens (so to speak), before I go ahead and write the thing.

I think anything along these lines is always a great idea (but of course, I'm biased). I love seeing games that allow users to add their own AIs through some kind of SDK and to be honest I've not seen a board game implementation that did that.

I say go for it!

Ferretman

ferretman@gameai.com
www.gameai.com

From the High Mountains of Colorado

Edited by - Ferretman on January 24, 2002 12:44:23 AM

Ferretman
ferretman@gameai.com
From the High Mountains of Colorado
GameAI.Com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement