Advertisement

Is WIN32 becoming obsolete??

Started by January 31, 2002 02:00 AM
1 comment, last by savagerx 22 years, 7 months ago
quote: Finally, the pieces of the Win32 API are slowly being replaced. Look into ATL and WTL (template class libraries that encapsulate ActiveX/Windows controls functionality) for Windows programming, and GDI+ (an object-oriented replacement for GDI and a standard component of WinXP, also available as a redistributable download for 9x and NT kernels other than Windows 95). Is it true that WIN64 is coming out? and is Microsoft's .NET using WIN32 API or something else? Please enlighten... The road may be long, wind may be rough. But with a will at heart, all shall begone. ~savage chant Edited by - savagerx on January 31, 2002 3:02:44 AM
The road may be long, wind may be rough. But with a will at heart, all shall begone. ~savage chant
IMO Win32 won''t become obsolete for quite a long while. Win64 isn''t likely for another couple years. So long as it relies on Kernel32 .NET rides on top of Win32.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Advertisement
As the previous poster said, the MS implementation of .NET is built directly on top of Win32. You still have to use Win32 API calls if you need functionality not provided by .NET

Once there was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time is called the Dark Ages.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement