Advertisement

New to programming, have modelling experience

Started by February 10, 2002 02:00 PM
0 comments, last by GeriatricGuru 22 years, 7 months ago
Hi, i''m just recently getting interested into programming, i''ve been modeling for a while using 3d studio max and other various programs. I''m not quite sure how 3d games are made, i''m assuming that the models are made in programs (such as 3ds max) and the programing is done in c++ or what not. What i''d really like to do is make a simple program that would allow me to navigate through some landscapes i''ve made in 3ds max. I want to learn programming that is essentially built around 3d models. Although, i understand i''ll have to start out with the basics, and if the basics are making simple calculator apps or the like, i''m willing to do so. Could anyone please recommend some books for people whom are already familiar with modeling? thanks very much.
First, you are correct =) most 3d game objects are made using 3dsmax or a similiar program, but loading them and manipulating them is a rather advanced topic which i would hesitate recommending you look into at this point.

If im understanding you correctly then you don''t have any experience with programming at all? If this is the case your going to need to learn C/C++. If you''re serious about learning go buy microsoft visual c++ (it''s about 100 bucks but usually has large rebates) there are other cheaper compilers, but i can almost garuantee you will eventually end up using this compiler, furthermore 95% of all books/online tutorials will be written with this compiler in mind.

As for learning C++, i really can''t recommend any one way to learn. (or book) All i can say is google.com is your friend There are a TON of tutorials on the internet ranging from beginning to advanced topics. If you really want a book to work from look at ''practical C++'' (Que publishing) i use that as a reference pretty often.

After you feel you have a firm grasp of the basics, browse through the labyrinth that is the microsoft website and find the newest version of the DirectX SDK (software development kit, v 8.1 as of now) download, and install it. some would recommend you also get at least a basic understanding of win32 programming at this point. (that is creating windows, dialog boxes etc.)

After that use the many tutorials linked to from this site to get something on the screen. Be it a single pixel or a bitmap, once you can do that then the rest is up to you, go where you want to go and learn what you want to learn, look into either Direct3D or OpenGL ( for a quick overview visit nexe.gamedev.net or nehe.gamedev.net respectively)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement