Advertisement

What book for C/C++

Started by February 13, 2002 09:04 AM
15 comments, last by Lazarus404 22 years, 7 months ago
Anyone know any good books for learning C/C++? I already know more than 10 languages, but they are all high level languages, and mostly web related (I''m an intranet developer). Also, I already know more about COM, dll''s, functions, typedefs, structs, classes etc than a lot of game programmers. What I don''t know is the format of C/C++ or the commands and programming style of C/C++, so books on that would be ideal. Thanks for any input, Lazarus404
Lazarus404
If you are a real man, get yourself a copy of the Kerningham and Ritchie book known by all C programmers as K&R.
These 2 guys know their business, they INVENTED C .

After taking a course on C, I wanted to "graduate" to C++. I followed the wise advise from this board and purchased " Teach yourself C++ programming in 21 days". That book is oriented toward the nebie, but it is very well written and concepts are explained very simply and efficiently.

Just my $.01273 ( CDN$.02 )
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Lazarus404
Anyone know any good books for learning C/C++?

I already know more than 10 languages, but they are all high level languages, and mostly web related (I''m an intranet developer). Also, I already know more about COM, dll''s, functions, typedefs, structs, classes etc than a lot of game programmers. What I don''t know is the format of C/C++ or the commands and programming style of C/C++, so books on that would be ideal.

Are you talking about C or C++? They are 2 different languages, with different standards and different ways of doing things. Assuming you are talking about C++, then the best book for someone who already has some programming experience is Koenig and Moo''s "Accelerated C++". To my knowledge, it is the only tutorial book that teaches modern C++ as it is intended to be used.
Is it any good though?

I don''t wanna spend money on a book to find it doesn''t teach me jack.

What topics does it cover?

Lazarus404
Lazarus404
Check out www.accu.org for great C++ book reviews.
quote: Original post by Lazarus404
Is it any good though?

I don''t wanna spend money on a book to find it doesn''t teach me jack.

What topics does it cover?

Lazarus404

Obviously, it''s a matter of opinion. The opinion of the C++ community at large is that it is *the* C++ tutorial book. The authors are very well respected and Koening sits on the C++ Standards body, so knows his stuff. I believe ACCU awarded it book of the year 2001.

The topics that it covers are restricted to Standard C++, which IMO is a good thing. They include:

Using the STL algorithms and containers;
Writing generic functions (templates);
Writing classes;
Managing memory;
Inheritance and polymorphism;
Smart pointers and handles.

There''s a lot of ground covered in the book, but it should be OK for someone who''s already done some programming in other languages.
Advertisement
I would follow up the tutorial book with a standard college textbook. You don''t necessarily have to read it cover to cover (though I would suggest it), but at least keep it around as a reference.

ShadeStorm, the Day_Glo Fish
ShadeStorm, the Day_Glo Fish
SAMS Teach Yourself C++ in 24 hours - Jesse Liberty
Very good beginner''s book.

---------------

I finally got it all together...
...and then forgot where I put it.
Didnt Liberty write the (slightly) more realistically titled "Teach yourself C++ in 21 Days" ?

Once there was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time is called the Dark Ages.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
quote: Didnt Liberty write the (slightly) more realistically titled "Teach yourself C++ in 21 Days" ?

Yeah - I took about 24 days to get thru the 24hrs book, though, so I''m wondering if the "hours" bit wasn''t just a typo

---------------

I finally got it all together...
...and then forgot where I put it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement