Advertisement

Design and script without programming?

Started by February 14, 2002 08:26 AM
4 comments, last by hewtwit 22 years, 7 months ago
Hello, I''m new to all this, coming from an narrative art background. I was wondering what would be the best way of getting into some basioc 3d design where I could script (as opposed to program) and design graphics... is there an engine that makes this easy? Maybe mod tools for one of the main engines? I see loads of info about learning to program, but I want to take an existing engine and design a new game around it. Cheers, Hew
Well, I think you will find, here at least, the consensus to be: learn to program. You don''t necessarily have to program, you just need to learn how to do some of the actual work. You could always do artwork, sound, whatever.

You aren''t going to find hobbyists willing to let you tell them what to program/what to draw/whatever while you do nothing, and you aren''t going to get into the industry without skills to offer the development house.

As far as a program to aid in actual design and scripting, Notepad works.

ShadeStorm, the Day_Glo Fish
Advertisement
I used to program, so the concepts aren''t a problem... more I was looking for a very high level way of controlling an existing engine. When i said script i meant as in a ''scripting language'', not the text... I see games like max payne and metal gear solid and I always think - that''s really playable and great, but the quality of the ideas is shit. It''s poorly written and not very engaging. I want to make the Watchmen of Games. I''m more itnerested in the story mechanics, sound and art than in developing a new engine. Currently I''m fucking about with the max payne engine. MaxED is a nice friendly way to get into this. What I was really aking is are there more things like this out there.
I think you have a different definition of "high-level language" than I learned. I know what you mean now. I know some dev houses have homemade scripting tools, like Black Isle uses for their Infinity Engine. Others do it, I just can''t think of any other examples right now.

Is it low level I mean? It was all so long ago... Sorry about not being more clear originally... it''s hard to be coherent when your working at the same time as posting

I''m taking a look at python right now. It''s seems a fairly easy language to start reaquaintig myself with the basics...

LOGO PRogramming Language

" Do we need us? "

Ionware Productions - Games and Game Tools Development

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement