Advertisement

It can't be that hard...can it?

Started by February 19, 2002 02:00 AM
10 comments, last by Overload 22 years, 6 months ago
Hi, I''ve been trying to have something to do with making games for ages, doing different things. I started learning programming (dos stuff) but once I got into making windows applications (in another book) I got bored, and stopped. Then I started art stuff (drawing, 3D modeling, design, writing) I''m good at those now but I want to go back to learning programming aswell. But my question is, do I really need to learn the windows apps or can I just skip the basics and learn something like game programming?
The question is a little academic. I suppose you could do that, but how are you going to get the game on to the screen?

ShadeStorm, the Day_Glo Fish
ShadeStorm, the Day_Glo Fish
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Overload
Hi,

I''ve been trying to have something to do with making games for ages, doing different things. I started learning programming (dos stuff) but once I got into making windows applications (in another book) I got bored, and stopped. Then I started art stuff (drawing, 3D modeling, design, writing) I''m good at those now but I want to go back to learning programming aswell. But my question is, do I really need to learn the windows apps or can I just skip the basics and learn something like game programming?

Try "C++ For The Absolute Beginner". It''s different from most books I''ve used, cause you start making little games right away, and work your way into DirectX programming and such. I''ve found it works better for me, cause it''s more practical (you''re doing something with these concepts you learned).
If you use OpenGL and GLUT, you can completely avoid windows programming until you are ready to deal with it.

http://www.opengl.org/developers/documentation/glut/index.html
Invective makes a good point, if you want to start 3D programming without even learning Windows. I''m not sure how it will go, as 3D games are hard to make well, but glut does make window creation very simple.

What I did when I started C++ was use the MFC AppWizard to generate a project for me, and then I filled in the blanks with my game code. This is one way to break into C++ programming. If you use the Win32 GDI for graphics as I did, it''s nice and simple and you can get right into the game stuff.

~CGameProgrammer( );

~CGameProgrammer( ); Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
if you cant do basic windows coding, you wont be able to code a complete game. unless you consider just cut and pasting some tutorials together programming.

you only need to create a window, set up the message loop. thats all the main windows specific init stuff you need, and its the same for most windows apps.
Advertisement
Well, it sounds like the problem is not that it was too hard for him but that he got bored. Probably he tried to read from start to finish some fairly detailed reference on Windows, as opposed to finding out how to create a window, doing so, and then getting on with the real programming.

~CGameProgrammer( );

~CGameProgrammer( ); Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
CGameprogrammer''s right (like I said) I got bored. So can someone show me how (or a tutorial how) to do a basic window so I can build from that.
thanks,

Heres my email if anyone wants it: Overloads_contact@hotmail.com
Overlord there are nice Win32 tutorials on this site

GameTutorials.com

They also have some directx and a good amount of OpenGl tutorials goodluck man

Jeff D

Suffered seven plagues, but refused to let the slaves go free. ~ Ross Atherton
Suffered seven plagues, but refused to let the slaves go free. ~ Ross Atherton
Have patience young grasshopper. Rome was not built in a day. I know how frustrating it can get. It reminds me when I first started learning win32. You have to start off nice and simple. Know your tolerance level. Then increment, (++increment) lol,on that little by little. Learn the fundamentals and things will seem easier. Good Luck!

-----------------------------
"There are ones that say they can and there are those who actually do."

"...u can not learn programming in a class, you have to learn it on your own."

Edited by - cMADsc on February 20, 2002 12:33:04 PM
-----------------------------"There are ones that say they can and there are those who actually do.""...u can not learn programming in a class, you have to learn it on your own."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement