Advertisement

Hi Everybody

Started by February 26, 2002 04:31 PM
11 comments, last by human_tree 22 years, 6 months ago
Hi. I''m new to all this. I have Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 and would like to know what I should learn and where I should learn it (what site/what book) to be able to start making little game (tetris/other basic things). Thanks in advance. This site looks good.
Start Here.

Advertisement
Ok. I''ve read some of that, and I''m going to program C++ in Windows (probably with Direct X later).

Can anyone tell me a good site to learn C++ from? (Please don''t say a book, because I can''t afford one).

Thanks again.
Here's a good site to learn DirectX:

http://sunlightd.virtualave.net/Windows/DirectX/

If you just started programming, I suggest you learn the C++ language first. My suggestion is the book Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 24 Hours. I you said no books but this is probably one of the cheapest programming books I have ever seen (it's about $20!!!). Good luck programming!!!

Scout

Visit Subversive Systems!!!

--Remember, be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry.

Edited by - scout958 on February 26, 2002 6:18:15 PM
ScoutVisit Subversive Systems!!!--Remember, be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry.
quote: Original post by human_tree
Ok. I've read some of that, and I'm going to program C++ in Windows (probably with Direct X later).

Can anyone tell me a good site to learn C++ from? (Please don't say a book, because I can't afford one).

Thanks again.

C++ is not easy for newbies, and you are better off with a book. When times are tough, I buy books from Barnes & Noble or Borders, read them in a few weeks, and return them. Or you could take the more conventional route and check out a book from the public library. Herb Schildt's book are always excellent BTW.

Edited by - poozer on February 26, 2002 9:02:05 PM
Thanks to everyone so far.

One more thing. After I learn C++, will I need to learn Win32 before Direct X?
Advertisement
quote: Original post by human_tree
One more thing. After I learn C++, will I need to learn Win32 before Direct X?

Short Answer: Yes. Although that''s a way off into the future .

Thanks. That book someone said (that Sams Teach Yourself book) is good aswell. Thanks again.
quote:
C++ is not easy for newbies, and you are better off with a book. When times are tough, I buy books from Barnes & Noble or Borders, read them in a few weeks, and return them. Or you could take the more conventional route and check out a book from the public library. Herb Schildt''s book are always excellent BTW.

Be careful doing stuff like this too much, cause the store''s Loss Prevention department will start tracking you as a Problem Returner.

Haha! Herb Schildt! He''s a legend in his own lifetime! Check out these links...

Bullschildt

alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ FAQ
(see Question 16)

--
Cats cannot taste sweets.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement