Advertisement

Starting out

Started by March 05, 2002 06:25 PM
9 comments, last by joe brown 22 years, 6 months ago
I''ve been programming in c++ for a couple of months. i want to learn how to make simple graphics games. in school, i learned basic, and made some games with it. Is there a graphics mode in c++ like in basic that will let me do this? And what is openGL? Do i need to learn this if i want to be a game programmer?
u learned visual basic in school, basic doesnt have a visual mode, neither does C++, your best bet for graphics programming/game programming is to learn C++ to death, then some more, then learn both openGL and directX(the order doesnt really matter, openGL is "supposed" to be easier but i dont really know

,Matt

-= kill one your a murderer, kill thousands your a conquerer =-
-= kill one you're a murderer, kill thousands you're a conquerer =-
Advertisement
quote: Original post by samosa
u learned visual basic in school, basic doesnt have a visual mode...

Depends on what BASIC. For instance, LTPB (Learn to Prorgram Basic, My first Language, by Interplay) has Sprite/Movie functionality. Old BASIC (on Commadores and Apple IIe (I think thats what its called) and what-not), there were graphics available for the language, but it was mostly Draw-A-Picture-Using-Nothing-But-Lines/Rectangles/Circles. It was independant for each machine (no standardization), so your programs weren''t portable (and because of a lack of HD space, they were interpreted---Ich)

quote: ...neither does C++...

Umm...Although the language doesn''t have any built in keywords for pictures (not even for printing words on the screen), but there are standard libraries that almost all (if not all) compilers come with for the OS (I''m assuming you''re using Windows, as most clueless newbies do)
There are graphic routines for DOS, Windows, Direct X (although now we''re really getting more on the complicated side...)

If you''ve been programming for a couple of months, then try programming simple little DOS games first (like a maze game consisting of annnoying little + symbols). Then work your way up

OpenGL isn''t necissary, it''s just (basically) a library of functions that allow you to create 2d/3d games. I''ve heard that OpenGL is easier, but I have no idea for sure. DirectX is alot more powerful (as in more control over the hardware = faster/better looking games, which might be why OpenGL is easier...), but it''s only for Windows, whereas OpenGL is portable to other OS''s

"I''ve learned something today: It doesn''t matter if you''re white, or if you''re black...the only color that REALLY matters is green"
-Peter Griffin
"I've learned something today: It doesn't matter if you're white, or if you're black...the only color that really matters is green"-Peter Griffin
I''d tend to agree with matrix2113 about the dos game... You need to get in as much experience with c++ as possible before you try to move up to DirectX and OpenGl. However, once you feel you''ve mastered ascii text, you avoid Windows graphics at all costs and jump into DirectX or OpenGl. If you''re taking the DirectX route, which may be a good way to go because DirectX has not only libraries for graphics, but sound, input, movies and more (iffy subject, careful about saying to much about one api or the other or you might start a flamewar ), anyway, if you do go with DirectX, you must get the book Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus by Andre LaMothe. It covers a whole slew of DirectX stuff, introduces object oriented programming, deals with sound, ai, creating games... it''s a great resource that no new programmer should be without!!
If you have any questions feel free to mail me at Parsec114@hotmail.com ...
Good Luck!
-Jesse
| The Hitchhiker''s Guide to Programming |"That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die."-H.P. Lovecraft
OpenGL is easier to learn, its only low level. However, DirectX is better for a beginner, although its based on OOP via the COM-Model, whereas OpenGL works in a more procedural manner. DirectX provides more functionality for high level rendering, like meshloading. Question: If DirectX is faster and better looking, why does Quake (I,II,III) use OpenGL?
There are 10 kinds of people,those who understand binaryand those who not.
thanks for all your responses. i should have said that in school, we use code warrior c++. then, a kid told me that he was making some sort of game with a graphics library. at home, i use mvs c++, but couldn't find any info on grahpics libraries that were built into it. that's why i wasn't sure if mvs c++ had any graphics modes. new question---how long does it take to be able to make a tetris clone? and what are the main elements involved in making games?

Edited by - joe brown on March 8, 2002 11:02:39 PM
Advertisement
In answer to your question, OpenGL is a set of library files and dll''s which allow you to program 3D graphics into your game. If you want to use 2D graphics try learning DirectX. You will need to Have the SDK first.
matrix, you obviously no nothing about OpenGL (since you don''t know whether it''s easier or not), yet you claim it produces slower and worse looking results than DX.........
GSACP: GameDev Society Against Crap PostingTo join: Put these lines in your signature and don't post crap!
Before C++ Builder, Borland''s compilers came with it''s own graphics library. BGI graphics. It was for DOS and had some cool stuff in it...for DOS anyway. You couldn''t really make anything amazing with it. At least I wasn''t able to. But then again, I had only just started programming when I was using that. And now I''m rambling. Bye.
I hope this wont start a flame war but if OpenGl is slower and produce worse looking graphics thatn DirectX. Why then is Return to Castle Wolfenstien and Medal of Honor Allied Assualt need Full OpenGL Support??

Jeff D
Suffered seven plagues, but refused to let the slaves go free. ~ Ross Atherton

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement