🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Starting a new business, anyone know?

Started by
2 comments, last by GroZZleR 22 years, 4 months ago
Hey all, Anyone have any input about starting up a new business? I have the following Qs to ask you, but if you have any other information you could provide, that''d be great. Thanks.

Business Questions

1. The Actual Registering
		1.1. What steps are involved?
		1.2. What are the costs of registering a business?
		1.3. How long does the process take?
		1.4. What sort of "government forms" are necessary?
		1.5. How does the trademarking of the business name work?
		1.6. Would a partnership change the registration process in any way?

2. Legal Questions
		2.1. What would a lawyer have to review?
		2.2. What sort of information could a lawyer provide?
		2.3. Once registered, is the name ours? Could we advertise?
		2.4. How would product names / logos be trademarked?
			2.4.1 How would those trademarks be filed?

3. Profit Questions
		3.1. As three partners and no other employees, what sort of pay roll information is required?
		3.2. How would income be declared to the government?
		3.3. How would they tax that income?

Advertisement
bizfilings.com is a good site; their support staff is quite helpful as well.

I would hesitate to give any advice on this topic as corporate law is a huge field and there are so many exceptions. For instance if you have a Limited Liability Corporation there are instances where your customers/stockholders can "pierce the Corporate veil" and come after you personally for debt owed by the company, even though an LLC protects you from that.

I would only take advice on this topic from people who do this stuff for a living.

there is some good info on There''s some good material on the nolo site - check the middle column
links, starting with
"Small Business Legal Structures"

Be careful here - a US site will be no good to you if you want to register in Canada. You would need to check out national and provincial law. I would be surprised if your Provincial trade and industry department (or whatever it is called) didn''t offer some advice. Try their websites.

But you need advice specific to your country and province so I''m afraid I can''t help any further.

Good luck

LLCs don''t exist in Canada. I have found the Canadian Government Web site to have some excellent material covering this topic. You should go there. Also, whatever major city nearest you should have some kind of professional organization devoted to helping new businesses start up. You should perhaps get in touch with someone at such a place.

Good luck.
_________________________The Idea Foundry

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement