🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Question about SDL and licencing

Started by
1 comment, last by BradDaBug 22 years, 4 months ago
Since SDL is licenced under the GNU licence, i have to release the source code that uses SDL, right? What if only one part of my game uses SDL? Like, say I have a GUI that my game uses. The GUI is what interacts with SDL. Could I just release the code to the GUI, and not my whole game? Is there some other way around the whole thing?
I like the DARK layout!
Advertisement
Is GPL or LGPL? If it''s LGPL you can just release whatever LGPL''d code you used + modifications to it, plus whatever code links statically with it. If you use the LGPL''d code in a library that is seperately compilable you can keep all your other source closed.

That is my understanding anyway... GPL is a little more restrictive. Any use of GPL code linked with your program requires that your program is then licensed under the GPL.

That is actually a gross simplification on both counts. Try reading the licenses themselves, they have examples in them.
http://www.libsdl.org/license.html

A few quotes from this page:

The Simple DirectMedia Layer library is currently available under the GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL) version 2 or newer

The most common way to comply with the license is to dynamically link with SDL, and then include the SDL source code and appropriate notices with your application.

Ron FrazierKronos Softwarewww.kronos-software.comMiko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement