Advertisement

Problem compiling DirectDraw code

Started by March 07, 2002 07:26 AM
2 comments, last by romer 22 years, 6 months ago
I''m using MSVC and have the DirectX 8.1 sdk installed and set up correct. I double-checked to make sure I''ve included the proper library files. I''ve looked through MSDN to see if there was a solution there, but nothing found. The problem is I''ve started to make a simple game with DirectDraw and it gives me a linker error when I tries to create the DirectDraw object. The error is: main.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _IID_IDirectDraw7 Debug/noob_pong.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals The line of code that looks to be the problem is this: hResult = DirectDrawCreateEx(NULL, (LPVOID *)&lpDD, IID_IDirectDraw7, NULL); Now I know this works because I compiled an example from Teach Yourself DirectX 7 in 24 Hours that had the exact same line of code and got the program to work. Could anyone help me out here?
Are you linking to dxguid.lib?

If so, are you sure that the include and header directories for the DX8 SDK are listed *before* the default directories in Tools->Options?
Advertisement
Thank you so much! The problem was I needed to link the dxguid.lib file. I didn''t realize that was necessary. Is that needed for all DirectX programs that I make?
I would imagine it''s needed for any DX program that references a GUID (like IID_IDirectDraw7).

That would be a yes.
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement