Advertisement

I need help with a .DLL file.

Started by March 07, 2002 03:34 PM
4 comments, last by Bangholla 22 years, 6 months ago
I have Msvcrt.DLL on my computer and it is causing a game of mine to keep crashing. What does it do and Do i need it?
That is the Visual C++ rutime dll, i believe (Ms = Microsoft vc = Visual C rt = Rutime). It is basically the runtime file that any visual c++ applications created use (the import libs are added automaticallay i believe) And if that is crashing it means it is your program crashing, i.e. do something wrong

EDIT:

btw you might want to try and replace the file incase it is currput

Edited by - Zidane on March 7, 2002 4:41:39 PM
Advertisement
The DLL you are talking about it the Microsoft Visual C++ Run Time Library (MSVCRT). This DLL contains the core VC++ code for things like printf and iostream. Chances are you are calling a function with incorrect params and you are causing it to crash.
I would check your code and try using debug and then taking a look at the stack when it crashes to see what caused it.
its a system DLL, do not replace it or delete it, your windows instalation will most likelly go down with it.
the problem has to be in the program, not the DLL (do you get a Program someprogram.exe cause an unhandled exception in module msvcrt.dll or something like that? that means the program is wrong, not the DLL).

IF the DLL is indeed damaged, you should try to do a Repair instalation if you are using Windows 2K+ or maybe try to reinstall Windows Me-

Yeah im getting a OOTP4.EXE error with it. Does that mean that a file in the game has a error in it?

Edited by - bangholla on March 7, 2002 5:06:26 PM
propbably, yes, I was getting something similar but with MFC47.dll I believe its named, I was calling CString::GetBuffer() without calling CString::ReleaseBuffer() later, there was no problem with it when the program was nice and small, but when it grew, it crashed all the time, and the debugger made these random jumps (stack overflow) which kept me from pinpointing the problem, then I saw the call, and remembered I had to call ReleaseBuffer when done, it was pure luck!

sorry for the rant hope it helps even a little.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement