Advertisement

Newbie lost in a sea of tutorials

Started by March 07, 2002 07:07 PM
5 comments, last by RatKing59 22 years, 6 months ago
Hi. As I''m sure you''ve heard many times, I''m a newbie and would like to start game programming. I already know the majority of C programming, but only numbers, not graphics. I think I may move into C++ progamming, but no matter where I go, I can''t seem to find anything on the ''net that would help me. I''ve read all of the "for beginners" tutorials on this site, but none of them seem to do me any good. If you don''t mind, all I need is someone to point me into the right direction...a site...a link....a book...just something. Thank you in advance
http://www.eastcoastgames.com/

GRELLIN
You''re not drunk if you can lay on the floor without holding on! -Dean Martin-
Steven Bradley .:Personal Journal:. .:WEBPLATES:. .:CGP Beginners Group:. "Time is our most precious resource yet it is the resource we most often waste." ~ Dr. R.M. Powell
Advertisement
Try the books on C++ from Premier Press. For Example C++ for absolute begginers this book was co-writen by one of the founders of Eastcoastgames.com and comes with the DirectX SDK version 8.0
Thinking in C++
In my humble opinion, reading tutorials is good to get an idea of whats going on here.. but i suggest that you buy a book like OpenGL game programming and any of the last books about directx at any library, and then keep on buying other books when you need to know more about any other subjects youll need to master when you are programming....I think those books are a good investment

gametutorials.com seems to be my best discovery so far.
Rhino2876
Advertisement
First of all about language:

If you consider Visual Basic, it''s like piece of cake! But it requires *.dll files for functions, nd if you wanna create your own dll then you need C++. I am not dishonouring VB but I mean to say you need C++ one way or another.

You won''t find pure C++, it''s alwys found with C mixed up altogether, since C++ also supports C. (Rather then a few cases).

About Graphics:

OpenGl and DirectX are built in libraries (or you might say header files) for your easy coding. You have to do a lot of coding if you want pure yours. What''s worth if you are having them for free. Just remember their functions or in my case note the most common ones.

You can create your own functions and header files but it will take a lot of time.

* You cn have opengl at www.opengl.org

* You can have directx (You must have one if you are using
windows) but can have it on microsoft''s site.

* You can have allegro at

"http://216.97.102.106/?request=1015134271&session=8d0195cdedacc921e1e46de9c23201d1"

(just copy and paste the link)

And ofcourse a free compiler I will suggest which I like the most is "Dev-C++" can be found at www.bloodshed.net

You can find the tutorials available at these sites.

The Lion King

s_ghazanfarali@yahoo.com

I ... am ... the GAME!!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement