Advertisement

Maya 4 vs. Max 4

Started by March 10, 2002 07:04 AM
13 comments, last by Clayman 22 years, 6 months ago
Which one? Why? Are there any articles on this? Where? Thanks.
Maya is a more powerful app then Max and is also a bit harder to use.

"Only to be a humble programmer is a goal I must achieve..."
Advertisement
Oh dear, is this a fact? Is it more powerfull, or are you just trying to start a flame war (is that the right phrase)...
well not really I was just saying so because Maya is used for more High end stuff right? has max ever been used for movies?

Edited by - gamefr on March 10, 2002 10:53:46 AM
MAX was e.g. used in Independence Day /Titanic
I hate signatures !!!
I prefer 3DSmax over Maya. Maya's interface is a little clunky and harder to work with. 3DSmax seems to have more rendering capablilties to me. Other than that they are both powerful programs and the ture answer to your question is to try both out and see which one is easier for you to work with.

EDIT: I'm an artist not a speller!

Rhott Studios
Art Director

email: wootkoos@rhott.com
web: www.rhott.com

Edited by - wootkoos on March 10, 2002 2:43:48 PM
__________________________wootkoosRhott Studiosemail: wootkoos@rhott.comicq: 78544868aim: wutkusweb: www.rhott.com__________________________
Advertisement
Maya: was used for more high end stuffs, movies, etc
MAX: recently it is used for more and more high end stuff
(though i don't think it is an important aspect for you)

Maya: almost impossible to find tutorials,free stuffs
MAX: TONS!!! of those

Maya: never heard of a game made with it
MAX: everyone uses it for game development (correct me if im wrong)

Maya: Damn..that interface is just impossible to use
MAX: easy to learn, good, simple interface

And finally..both Maya and MAX has almost the same knowledge and possibilities. Choose what you want, both is very good, but i thnk MAX is better for games and Maya is for movies (NO< NOT because Maya knows much more!! )

Ps:When itried to learn Maya too, i read through the help/tutorial file and i saw it knows the very same as MAX. But! I was unable to handle the software....maybe its just my stupidity..but im sure i was able to create a sphere in MAX, and sub-div edit it. This cant be said in May ...

Edited by - Vikcy on March 10, 2002 3:25:38 PM
" de sagittis ungarorum libera nos Domine"West-European pray in 900AD
Sound advise from all round. :-)

Both of the packages have free versions of their latest software, download em'' and see which one suits you best.

However it does all depends on what you want to get out of the package, Max is a doddle for low poly editing, but no good for high quality film type work.

Although if it''s (presumably) game content, then contrary to what I have just said you may want to seriously consider Maya. Id software are now using Maya for their 3D needs. (Doom 3)
Low poly modelling is becoming less of a problem, with every new hardware release, the industry will probably converge on the more powerfull tool. This is at the moment Maya, but things may change.

I think it all depends on the next major release of the software as to which becomes the gamer''s choice.

Basically you are in a no win situation, ideally learn both.
If you have to make a choice now, I''d go for Max as it''s easier to learn. But keep your eye on Maya in the future.
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster

Although if it''s (presumably) game content, then contrary to what I have just said you may want to seriously consider Maya. Id software are now using Maya for their 3D needs. (Doom 3)
Low poly modelling is becoming less of a problem, with every new hardware release, the industry will probably converge on the more powerfull tool. This is at the moment Maya, but things may change.

I think that John Carmack (Id) with the time, he is more a hardhead.. for example he is one of the first to made games directly for Linux.. is good for linux''s guys, but is bad for the company (they sold a little quake3 for linux units.. and for this they loss money for this).

Id Software can given the pleasure to spend a lot of money.. Maya is good, but is not really good for the high price it cost, even more maya plugins seem a big expensive (maya plugins for free exist?). But we cannot risk ours project using a expensive and not necesary useful tools.

cabeza dura

-----------------------------------------------

"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
the models for giants: citizen kabuto, and Black and White were
done in maya.. and if im not mistaken, Rogue Leader for Game Cube was done in either maya or
lightwave..
lots of games have done in maya however, those are the only ones
i can think of off the top of my head.
no one software package is much better than the modeler using it
so go with whatever you want. i''d suggest trying truespace or
milkshape until you get good... otherwise you wont be able to use
all those nifty features you paid for.

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

Vash says: eat more donuts, play more games!

-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement