Advertisement

Maya 4 vs. Max 4

Started by March 10, 2002 07:04 AM
13 comments, last by Clayman 22 years, 6 months ago
quote: i''d suggest trying truespace or
milkshape until you get good... otherwise you wont be able to use
all those nifty features you paid for.

Well said...

As far as the original topic goes I''d like to say that I''ve been a MAX user for about a year (since I started college and could get the student version) and I''ve barely skimmed the surface in many area''s. That said though I wouldn''t mind getting into Maya, it''s just too expensive at the moment and learning it is apparently harder than MAX. Although the main issue is cost. But I am very happy with MAX at the moment, I''m really used to the interface and it''s good to know that there are plenty of jobs out there that require experience in MAX.

Oh yeah a little background. I myself was using TrueSpace for a year and a half before MAX so I can also recommend getting into some of the cheaper or free packages till you get better at fine arts and the concepts of 3D art.

--------------------------
"640K ought to be enough for anybody." -Bill Gates 1981
--------------------------"640K ought to be enough for anybody."-Bill Gates 1981
Maya is a bit harder to use, harder to learn, but offers a lot more capabilites. Since Maya can do everything MAX can (and more) it´s usually (at least judging from the companies I know) a question of money.
Some other features of Maya really help with the workflow, especially the skinning and IK work really well and without much trouble to the user.
Max has been predominant in games, but in the last few years more and more companies have switched to Maya, mostly because it offers all the things you need in one package (it´s higly customiseable due to MEL, importing/exporting works well and you can even use it for early prototyping, level design, equally good in the high poly/low poly areas, ...).
If you´re thinking about learning something which will get you ahead in the business I would recommend maya, because it seems to be the current trend, and also because switching from maya to max is easier than vice versa.
If it´s for personal or business use I´d recommend Max, because even the "Builder" version of Maya is rather expensive, and I would not spend that kind of money unless I´d be sure I could use the features.

So take a look at both Maya PLE and GMAX and decide what suits you best.
Advertisement
quote: Original post by ZGL_Sigma
MAX was e.g. used in Independence Day /Titanic

Was used, but in those cases most of the CGI was done in custom software.
@eldee

Black and White was done with MAX - I read that in a interview with Peter Moulyneux
I hate signatures !!!
Hi,
Although i havent used Maya or Max for a game (yet), here is my humble opinion:

- Maya''s interface may seem clumsy or strange at first glance, but after further scrutiny, one realizes that much thought has given into it. Every aspect is well made so the user, once used to it, will wear it like a glove.
For example, in its default setup, it will hide from you what you dont need, and appear when you change modes (modeling, animation, rendering, dynamics). You can hide most of Maya panels, and still be able to access _almost_ all functions from the ''hotbox''.
Not happy with this? you can change drastically the interface.
The scripting language its so tightly integrated that you will be finding yourself programmming even if you didnt ever do so.
Great deal of the interface is made with MEL (Maya Embedded Language), and every action you execute, it has its mel command(s).

My first impression was, ''hmm, this too powerful for gaming''. And its true, CG professionals feel right at home with it but isnt exclusive for that. After ready much of the library, i saw that is also pretty prepared for gaming. Let me tell you.
It has many functions for polygonal modeling, correct geometry modeling, texturing, exporting, etc.

I have used Max before Maya. I did like the interface at first, althought many of the commands required too many menu accesses. After ive tested Maya, and dont want to go back. Its like Max is still in its infancy where Maya its all grown up.

In conclusion, Maya its very well thought out. Max has many more case studies, and the community doesnt compare but with the advent of Maya Learning Edition thats about to change (well, maybe not , who knows).

If you have the time, give them both a thoroughly test before you decide.

Regards

niclam

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement