Advertisement

is there a chance for me with no talent at all on drawing...

Started by March 11, 2002 10:01 AM
7 comments, last by mickey 22 years, 6 months ago
can be ever good at drawing? i never drew since i was on grade 1 and really had no passion on it but no i do!!! and am really desperate to learn how to draw... any guidelines? where to start and stuffs?
http://www.dualforcesolutions.comProfessional website designs and development, customized business systems, etc.,
Practice. Practice practice practice!

Start small and work your way up.

Copy pictures as best you can, then come up with your own.

Look on Amazon for instructional books.
Take a class.

There's no real best way to proceed except learn what you can as you go.

It's especially neat when you can get a picture to come out as you envisioned it in your mind before you started. When I draw something, it usually takes on a life of its own and kind of takes over.

(I doodled a lot in school, and drew illustrations for the dungeons I refereed in D&D)

How good you are at art is totally up to you. You get out of it what you put into it, as is true with so very many things.

Edited by - Waverider on March 11, 2002 11:13:16 AM
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
Advertisement
hey thanks and one more thing, is it beneficial on my part to learn photoshop and 3dstudio max? why?

oh btw, i still want more advices if you guys plz... thanks a lot!! right now i have a book here that teaches you how to draw simple images, airplanes boxes etc., hehe
http://www.dualforcesolutions.comProfessional website designs and development, customized business systems, etc.,
Read "The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards. It''s written from the perspective of someone who has little to no drawing skills.

If your an artist you should read it too, I''m shure you''ll learn a lot.

After that I''d suggest you get "The DK Art School: An Introduction to Art Techniques". Basic knowledge in traditional arts is a must if you plan on starting a career (or hobby) in art.
RTK
I second the betty edwards book idea. I too was in your same situation, this book literally saved me! And, if your doing any character drawing, buy an anatomy for the artist reference book. That helped me out a lot too! It is -very- difficult to catch up, but it is possible. If your still in school, take a drawing class! I''m taking my first one this summer through Indiana University. If anything, "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" made me confident enough to take the class.
- T. Wade Murphy
quote: originally posted by Kandolo
take a drawing class!
Or you can also draw-in-class!
"the sad thing about promit's sig is that it lacks intelligence, therefore artifice" - Jello di Caca"There is no flag that is large enough to hide the shame of americaca" -System of a Jello
Advertisement
If you are a computer, there is a library that can teach you to draw. It is called OpenGL and it is free. If you aren''t a computer, then this message is useless for you. But OpenGL is still good.
Draw in class? Yeap, I do a lot of that too Heh heh. Its also funny because in huge lecture halls the prof never really knows who anyone is. My accounting prof (don''t ask me why an art major takes accounting... I don''t know why either) glares at me all the time because I''m always obviously drawing (I guess its me showing people and laughing). Little does he know that I have the highest grade in the class out of about 260... Nice irony there *chuckles*

Another piece of advice is always carry something around with you... draw when you are inspired. If you set aside "a time to draw" its a lot more difficult. Drawing are always better when you draw from a "want" to draw, rather than a "need" to state of mind.

- T
- T. Wade Murphy
Hmm, I tend to disagree. Granted, it''s true that drawings end up better when you are inspired, but sometimes, you may not feel like drawing at all.

I haven''t "felt" like drawing in more than a month, it happens from time to time. But I also set an hour each day to practice. Some days I really *really* don''t feel like drawing.

Drawing is a labor of love, and sometimes it''s no fun at all. But you have to be consistent. Drawing is like riding a bike, if you stop riding and come back a year later, you''ll still be able to get around, but you''ll look a little wobbly, and your butt will be sore afterwards :-)

I agree to always carry a pencil and sketch pad around, you never know when a great idea comes up. Oh, and keep some paper by your bed, many times the best ideas come in dreams, or right when your about to doze off.

Approach drawing as you would if you were learning to play the piano or a programming language. Get organized, work on it everyday, but most of all, enjoy what your doing (most of the time), otherwise, there''s no point to it.

-RTK
RTK

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement