Advertisement

Wacom Graphire2

Started by March 11, 2002 05:05 PM
5 comments, last by Vikato 22 years, 6 months ago
Greets and sals all, I have been considering making a small investment in getting a Wacom Graphire2 tablet. I found one at a local retailer for around $100 (i know i can get on pricewatch or something and get it cheaper, but i hate waiting on shipments and some how i manage to never be here to sign for the delivery anyway). So, what i''m wondering is, (from those who actually own one or have used one only please), is this a quality tablet? Thanks for any help. Manufacturing metaphores in my melancholy mind.
Manufacturing metaphores in my melancholy mind.
The Wacom Graphire is great! I''ve had one since last August and love it.

It''s much more natural than a mouse ever will be. Although I still have difficulty playing UT with it

I would recommend this as a nice low budget tablet.

borngamer
Advertisement
Hey, thanks for the reply!
But alas, it was too late. I couldn''t wait any longer on a reply, I went out and bought one. Last one too! They had two more, but they were Graphire 1''s. I didn''t see much difference other than cosmetically though, and the G2 comes with Painter while the G1 comes with Corel Draw or Photo Paint or something like that. This thing rocks for RTS''s, er, I mean doing my graphic design work .
Manufacturing metaphores in my melancholy mind.
Besides playing games and editing photos, is the Graphire2 really good enough to do something serious from an art point of view?

Say I drew an outline for a drawing (like a manga picture or something) and scanned it in (nice and big 1400x1800 pixels). I colour it in Paint Shop Pro then want to do some shadows/highlights - would this tablet have the necessary resolution and detail for this job? I''m guessing it wouldn''t be good enough to draw the picture from scratch.
>Besides playing games and editing photos, is the Graphire2 really good enough to do something serious from an art point of view?

Certainly, while it is a bit small, it''s perfectly possible to do artwork with a Graphire 2. It also comes bundled with Photoshop 5 LE and Painter Classic (a big reason it costs $100).

Painter is great when used with the tablet in particular. There''s a realistic pencil, brush, ink pen, and lots of other tools, which are made even better due to the tablets pressure sensitivity. Each tools has lots of options, such as 2B, colored, sharp, and thick and thin just for the pencil alone.

Of course, if you''ve got the money, I''d suggest you go for the Intuos 2, which has all the features of Graphire, plus some others (like rotation sensitivity and a much larger drawing area).

But for drawing sketches, sprites and textures, it''s infinitely better than a mouse.

-RTK
RTK
You probably could, but you''d have to do a lot of zooming in on your work to get a refined stroke.
Advertisement
Some advice:
-A little tablet give some problems with high resolution.
-If you want to work serious, then buy Painter complete, because Painter classics is very limited (it have water effects?)

-----------------------------------------------

"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement