Advertisement

Blender Closes Down

Started by March 14, 2002 10:32 AM
16 comments, last by yspotua 22 years, 5 months ago
Nan Technologies, the make of Blender has closed down. Click here for the full story.
I notced just
I some hours earlier posted a question in the forum there and now I''ll never get reply to it
Advertisement
btw. Is there other good 3d modelers for linux?
Linux sux!.. is only for network administrator!.

In any case, you can have Maya for Linux (there are some?).

Blender dead!

One minute of silence please!

-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
In the Blender license it allows retransfering the software as long as it isn't modified. So, I'm going to mirror the Linux version here (that link is for GLIBC 2.1.2 on x86 platforms). Edit: I'm now uploading a Win32 version here. If you have other copies of Blender (newer, different platforms, whatever) and can upload them I'd like to mirror them too .
quote: Original post by eng3d

This isn't a thread about Linux. You're a troll. Now be quiet .

[edited by - Null and Void on March 14, 2002 5:23:57 PM]
I find it funny that these businesses always say "The digital media market has shown that it is not quite ready"... when what they mean was "our business plan was unviable - we hoped the world would change in the meantime but it did not"

Shame about the software, of course.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]
Advertisement
Just goes to show that you can''t get too caught up on the software your using as opposed to the techniques. Of course even the most talented traditional artist won''t get very far if they can''t utilise the programs features, but it is something to think about eh.

That''s why I''ve never really been fond of programs like Bryce, Poser and now Z-Brush for serious 3D artists, because there isn''t really a common thread that links them together when it comes to the tools.

But as for myself, I use 3DSM, but if I needed to I could adapt to programs like Lightwave, Softimage and Maya because they share similar tools concepts.

That was the good thing about blender. I mean, I hated the interface and found it hard to use but the techniques learned in that package could be adapted to higher end stuff...

oh well....

--------------------------
"640K ought to be enough for anybody." -Bill Gates 1981
--------------------------"640K ought to be enough for anybody."-Bill Gates 1981
quote: from the Blender news article
Continuation of these products, including the Creator, Publisher and our wireless initiative, will require additional investment of human and financial resources.

Therefore conversations will be started with 3rd parties about this.

Maybe there is hope.
That sucks, I loved going to the python forums and searching for specific scripts.
Damn glad I got the ones that I did.

How about links to tutorials? The only link I used went to the list of tutorials on the blender site, which just had links to external sources.
Guess I should have bookmarked those
Anyone got some working links?

[edited by - wolfmanyoda on March 15, 2002 9:43:52 AM]
quote: Original post by Null and Void
In the Blender license it allows retransfering the software as long as it isn''t modified. So, I''m going to mirror the Linux version here (that link is for GLIBC 2.1.2 on x86 platforms). Edit: I''m now uploading a Win32 version here. If you have other copies of Blender (newer, different platforms, whatever) and can upload them I''d like to mirror them too .

In any case you post only the old version. I post the later version in another thread. Anyways. The license can be changed without concent of the clients. In this case Blender license is unknown.

------------

This isn''t a thread about Linux. You''re a troll. Now be quiet .

You don''t understand!. it is a artist group, so is unavoidable to many free programs to be finished in this way. So me main power of linux :the free software is a dangerous for all artist!.

For now, the linux users don''t have a cheap and decent 3d programs, and nobody can say about it cannot happens to another programs (such Gimp). For a artists the life of a programs is valious, in fact, the old Blender users, now or in a next future, live a "nightmare"...

Linux sux?, of course, for a ARTIST yes!.. an artist only want work!.. no tools -> no works!.

quote:
Wolfmanyoda

How about links to tutorials? The only link I used went to the list of tutorials on the blender site, which just had links to external sources.
Guess I should have bookmarked those

i recommend to forget to learn some dead-programs. Better you can use another free programs, such Truespace3 (it is free, the 4 not).

-----------------------------------------------

"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
Yeah, I know it''s an older one. As long as it works it works (a self verifying statement ).
You don''t understand!. it is a artist group, so is unavoidable to many free programs to be finished in this way. So me main power of linux :the free software is a dangerous for all artist!.

What kind of ''free'' do you mean? What do you mean by dangerous? Are you so unable to adapt to new tools that you''d be currupted by ever using (for example) Blender? Somehow I doubt that that is true. Surely any experience is good experience. I''m not must of an artist, I just used Blender to make simple models for testing my software/libraries; and I''m going to keep doing it .
For now, the linux users don''t have a cheap and decent 3d programs, and nobody can say about it cannot happens to another programs (such Gimp). For a artists the life of a programs is valious, in fact, the old Blender users, now or in a next future, live a "nightmare"...

I''m still going to use Blender, so I have a "free and decent 3D program." The GIMP is GPL (free and free), it can''t die . If I had the Blender source code, I''d be able to do my part in insuring it never died. However, I don''t have the Blender source code.
Linux sux?, of course, for a ARTIST yes!.. an artist only want work!.. no tools -> no works!.

What kind of artist? Many movies are now rendered on farms of Linux machines (many are still done in Irix though). So, Linux isn''t hurting any artists in that case. No tools? Are you a programmer too? If you are, stop complaining, start working on making some tools . There are more free 3D modeling tools available for Linux (or other unixes), it''s just that Blender is the most recognized. I''m sure a couple would probably run in WINE also (many of my Windows games do, after all ). I''m not an artist, so I don''t have the money to throw at obtaining commercial art programs though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement